Premed 101 Forums

Basic Life Support Certification

Vicodin

Hey everyone!

I'm assuming a course called the Heartsaver® CPR AED course would fulfill the Basic Life Support Certification requirement, right? Can anyone give input on the course they used? It says it's one day (4 hours) and there's an exam at the end.. meaning all of the certificate requirements would be fulfilled in that one day?

Thanks  :)

Hey everyone!

I'm assuming a course called the Heartsaver® CPR AED course would fulfill the Basic Life Support Certification requirement, right? Can anyone give input on the course they used? It says it's one day (4 hours) and there's an exam at the end.. meaning all of the certificate requirements would be fulfilled in that one day?

Thanks  :)

I would suggest you ask them and maybe forward the certificate you'd be getting to McGill. Don't want to take a chance!

CPR HCP is similar in certification as BCLS.

Some medical schools give you the ACLS through the core emergency clerkship rotation. However, I believe this is school dependent. If your school is not one of the schools that gives you ACLS cert through the core ER rotation, then you should get BCLS through Heart and Stroke as it is the pre-requisite for ACLS.

The reason I'm saying you should get BCLS specifically is because heart and stroke will not take CPR HCP as the pre-req fulfillment for ACLS. I called them first-hand to ask a few years back because I wanted to take ACLS. And ACLS is important for CaRMs applications.

But H&S may have changed regulations, try checking their website/calling them.

Yep I emailed them and they told me I would need the BLS course instead, since it's for healthcare providers. I assume that's the same as the BCLS you're referring to. I thought getting the certificate would take longer than 4 hours lol not complaining

CPR HCP is similar in certification as BCLS.

Some medical schools give you the ACLS through the core emergency clerkship rotation. However, I believe this is school dependent. If your school is not one of the schools that gives you ACLS cert through the core ER rotation, then you should get BCLS through Heart and Stroke as it is the pre-requisite for ACLS.

The reason I'm saying you should get BCLS specifically is because heart and stroke will not take CPR HCP as the pre-req fulfillment for ACLS. I called them first-hand to ask a few years back because I wanted to take ACLS. And ACLS is important for CaRMs applications.

But H&S may have changed regulations, try checking their website/calling them.

I previously took a Canadian Red Cross course that certified me in CPR C and AED. Is that sufficient for their requirements? On McGill's website it says "You must provide (by July 31 of the year in which you are commencing undergraduate medical education ) proof of certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), level C or C+, and automated external defibrillation (AED) training".

It says it must be valid until at least March 2019. Just email mcgill a copy of your certificate and ask if it's okay :)

I previously took a Canadian Red Cross course that certified me in CPR C and AED. Is that sufficient for their requirements? On McGill's website it says "You must provide (by July 31 of the year in which you are commencing undergraduate medical education ) proof of certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), level C or C+, and automated external defibrillation (AED) training".

Yes I emailed - if anyone has recommendations for ones they took in Montreal in English it would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think the Quebec heart and stoke foundation gives the course at certain YMCAs on the island and the courses are usually available in english as well. I'll email admissions and let you know if those work out - they should, I think. 

Archived