Premed 101 Forums

How many times do you reapply before changing directions?

Guest Y

I was wondering how many times most students reapply to all medical schools before choosing a different field or maybe trying to go to an offshore medical school?

Have you heard of any Canadians trying Ireland or the Caribbeans for med school and then returning and passing the exams here?

Guest Angela

I know of someone who is in Ireland now, completing her third or fourth year. My uncle attended an AMCC-accredited medical school in the Phillippines and passed both the exams here and in the US.

The number of times you apply before giving up is entirely up to you. It all depends on how determined you are in becoming a doctor. I know this probably doesn't really answer your question, so I'll tell you something else. This year is my fifth year applying. I also know of someone who applied to med school for seven years before getting in.

When you have been trying for so many years to get in, it can get quite depressing at times. That's is why I mentioned earlier that it all depends on how determined you are. Of course, there are things you can do in the process to strength your application and rejuvenate your desire to become a doctor.

I'm not sure if you just started thinking or have applied to med school. Just remember that when you want something bad enough, you'll eventually get it.

Best of luck,

Angela :)

Guest AniyaSG

If medicine if really what you want to do, then apply as often as you have to. But do remember to spend the time in between to keep busy doing things you enjoy. A relative of mine applied for 4 years straight before getting in to medicine (he had his heart set on one school and only applied there). He was trying to get his life back on track after a divorce and other personal issues. Just as he was finishing up his MD, and getting his personal life back together, he got hit by a car, and became a 6 year old again. He died a few years later. I use this as a reminder to do what makes me happy. I hope I get to complete medical school before my time comes, no matter how long it takes me to get in, but I try to make sure to keep things going forward in the meantime. Anyhow, thinking of him always helps me put things into perspective...

Edit: I hope that wasn't too far off topic :\

Archived