Premed 101 Forums

Apprehension

Guest everyoneloveschem

Guest everyoneloveschem

Hi,

I've finally caved in and registered instead of lurking (that's what my brother tells me I'm doing when I don't post, but only read). This has been one of best resources I've found since applying to med school last fall. Its too bad more people don't know about it, or like me, never post. Its nice to know there are a couple people like me out there, anxiously awaiting news, obsessing, and no doubt driving family and friends nuts.

So I was wondering, are any of you apprehensive that you might get accepted. As in, all of a sudden you have access to a new profession and future that you had hoped for, but never assumed you would obtain, and its overwhelming? Did any of the now current med students feel that way? I probably won't get accepted, so this is just sillyness, but hey, thought I'd ask.

Guest MayFlower1

hey everyoneloveschem,

You're definitely not alone...your apprehension is shared...I want nothing more than to be accepted this year (2nd time applying)...I sometimes have a flash thought..."Oh, my god, what will I do if I'm accepted" ha ha.

Anyway, the wait won't be that much longer...at least for the first phase anyway...good luck and try to relax...

Peter

P.S. Nice to see you've "come out" :b

Guest Blackbird15

Hey everyoneloveschem,

I saw this topic and just had to post... When I got my acceptance for this Fall, I felt exactly the way you describe. I was happy for about 15 minutes, and then it hit me that in about less than 2 years, I'd be set loose upon an unsuspecting patient population... and I REALLY have a thing with needles (the thing being that I hate them), and in general, real patients with real diseases are scary and unpredictable and look nothing like they do in the textbooks :eek ... Maybe some of the current med students can discuss how they felt during their clerkship and how they dealt with the pressure...Also, going to med school really is the end of a chapter of your life. That's why I never understand why people are in such a hurry to get in right after 3rd year... But then again, some people really are ready for it that early on.

You shouldn't think that you won't get in this year. You won't know until May 30th... you might be very pleasantly surprised. :)

take care,

Blackbird

Guest misagh

You're in good company 'everyoneloveschem'. When I applied last fall, I really didn't think that I would get interviews. Everytime I would boost myself up by saying things like, "Don't worry, you'll make a good physician..." there would always be something inside saying, "No no, you can't become a physician because of ....." I suppose it was a great dose of self-denegration and doubt.

When I got interviews, it really hit me hard, and I felt the fear and apprehension that you described. I still feel it. I'm really glad I'm not alone on this one! When one doesn't expect something, even though it be something that is dearly hoped for, then the surprise and shock are tremendous. I think that if I'm fortunate enough to receive acceptance, I will feel really really happy and then get hit with the sobering thought that "I have now dedicated myself to humanity in a major, new, and challenging way..."

And, Blackbird15, about the needles thing... welcome to the club my friend! Wow, I think it's a real phobia for me. It's something I will definately have to deal with if I plan on going into this profession. Or, I could help develop the latest technologies for administering drugs without the use of needles.... does it ever make u think, that even in the 21st century with all our techno-gadgets, we are still poking into flesh with sharp metal?

Adieu tout le monde :)

Guest cher1234

I can relate as that "what if" deadline is fast approaching. What if I actually get in! :eek

I guess I'm assuming that I won't get accepted on my first try. However, if I do that would mean moving myself and my family far from home to a place where we don't know anyone.

Undoubtedly it would be worth it, and it would take only a short time for us to adjust, but I'm curoius to know what that "beginning" is like. Can any med students shed some light on this issue? Med school seems to leave little time for "extras." What was the adjustment like?

Guest UWOMED2005

Don't worry, everyoneloveschem, the feelings you have are completely natural. My backup plan was to take the year off, travel Europe, and apply again next year and I was half disappointed when it turned out I got in (on the flipside though, after having experienced the hell that is applying to OMSAS I decided I never wanted to do that again.)

And getting into medicine is quite the commitment. I'm sure you already know about the loans, the years in school and the years in residency. On the one hand I found myself thinking "sweet, I have my career set until I'm 65. . . I won't ever have to worry about trying to find another career." On the other hand, I found myself thinking "nuts, I have my career set until I'm 65. . . with my loans, it will be years before I can try anything else, like teach english in Japan or travel Europe for a year."

As to your worries about your ability to be a doctor in the face of things such as fears of needles, don't worry. There's tons of specialties out there, and many of them never even see a needle. I think it's relatively natural for future med students to be apprehensive about whether they're right for the job. . . I still remember the day Danielle Martin, who was the president of the CFMS this year, came into our class and said: "I know what you are all thinking. Don't worry, the administration did NOT screw up in letting you. You are not going to fail out the first chance you get."

We all laughed at that, probably because for most of us, those fears were real.

Guest McMastergirl

I also felt "half" (maybe more like one-tenth) disappointed when I got in, as I expected to have to try a couple of times at least! Also, I had been planning to move in with my boyfriend if I didn't get in and relax for a year. But I'm so happy I'm doing this!!! Every time I get overwhelmed (happens quite often now that I'm in clerkship), I just think how lucky I am to be here and how many people would kill to be in my place. I also have a fear of needles but honestly the more you are exposed the less you fear them. I've given vaccines and poked around in people's radial artery to get a blood gas (not that I've been successful yet...). Don't worry, the best way to lose your fear is to face it!!!

Guest everyoneloveschem

I don't get the fear of needles many people have. Whats so bad about them? Do you not like them in general, or getting them, or potentially giving them? One of the Dr's I work shakes (I'm not sure why, any ideas anyone?), and I felt bad once watching him give this guy a TB test, because he was so unsteady. Now what I've heard of spinal taps isn't pretty!!:o

Archived