Premed 101 Forums

thank-you card

Guest grandmellon

Guest Dannyboy

Honestly, how do you even remember who they were? How do people know who the community member, dr, and student are? I couldn't even guess who was what(remember my state of mind during my interview though--I could barely remember who I was....so scary....so funny....)

If you remember who they are I would go for it. But really, how the heck do you remember that stuff????

Today's question: I've been asked by tooooo many people over the last few days whether Mac is going to take into consideration the very different interview experiences people had--ie. some people were rescheduled, others not; some people had to wait 6+ hours between interviews, most not---all these variables can have potential negative influences on your performance. To anyone who thinks otherwise---maybe experience it first then get back to us. Two of my profs were floored when they heard about the wait--ie. unavoidable absolutely but very, very stressful.

I personally don't care either way. I was happy with my day regardless of what happens and what the eventual outcome is. Others I know don't share my same perspective and I feel for them, ya know? I've tried to rationally discuss the situation with them but WOW are they upset. Things happen, you know? Oh well............

Guest peachy

Grandmellon - I didn't for any of my interviews. My understanding is that virtually nobody does at Canadian schools, but it is standard at American schools. I would have liked to send a thank-you to my Queen's interviewers (they were just SO NICE), but with the hassle of finding their names and addresses, and the last semester of undergrad being so hectic, it just didn't happen for me....

Personally, if you have the time and energy to do it, and you really do want to thank some of your interviewers sincerely, then I think go for it :) But you certainly don't have to think that it's expected, cause most people don't.

Guest grandmellon

Names? Who said you need names :P... yeah i do remember their names... the doctor's name was the hardest to remember because it seems to be quite foreign but a nice name anyways ;) hehehe... I really did enjoy my interview and the chat was a lot nicer than I thought it would be... I also wanted to thank them for their time, especially because they rescheduled! (As I am sure everyone is greatful as well). But I also do not want to come around as some psycho who tracks people down and sends them cards hehehe. Maybe I'll just send an anonymous card to McMaster and address it to them... that way they won't be able to say in their eval... psycho kid tracks us down.... would be a crazeh Doc. :eek

Guest Jbird

Dannyboy

I have also been asked many many times if I would get extra "points" for having such a chaotic day. I had my interview the weekend of the storm and also had the 7 hour marathon day. I was totally goofy by the time my personal interview rolled around but then again I'm pretty goofy most of the time and was hoping to hide it a bit. No such luck.

Personally, I think it's important to be able to adapt and just do the best you can. I certainly don't think I deserve any extra credit for having a difficult day. Just my opinion.

Guest shelleyrn

JBIRD!!!

Hey! Welcome back...haven't seen any posts from you and thought you had jumped ship!

As for interviews, jbird and I, and many others could attest to the wacky interview day the storm gave us...BUT, I agree with J in that it speaks to our flexibility, and believe you and me, we will have many "stormy days" when/if get into medicine. For some of us who have worked shift, or in a remote setting where you could be on-call for days, this is nothing new....Yes, a bit frustrating...for myself, just getting there was the hassle, BUT i made, and thorougly enjoyed my (long) day.....a blast! Met some great people who I hope will become classmates jbird lynlloyd vdub should we get in....

Hang in there folks...May 30th is just around the corner.....Shelley;)

Guest Jbird

Yes we can attest to the wackiness! I have been pretty quiet here lately, life has been really busy. Maybe I'm just trying to fill in my time so I won't/can't think about the end of May. I went straight back to work after the interviews and then hopped over to Vancouver for a Pediatric Medicine conference. Yet another night in a hotel. I do love room service though, I brought my own wine!!

Hope all is well with you and the "peg" is treating you right.

TTFN

Guest Dannyboy

I think there is some misunderstandings going on here. I certainly don't have a problem with my crazy day--loved it in fact. Loved everything about it. Many, however, don't share my feelings regarding chaos and the unpredictable (but I think we share the love of the insane Grandmellon). Of course drs have to adapt to different and unforeseen circumstances. I would argue that almost ALL professions have to; nothing that unique to medicine. That's life--how many people would argue that point?

However, in situations such as med school interviews, standardization does matter and I think that is what my fellow applicants are upset about. The situations varied like crazy and for some, this resulted in negative outcomes (so they currently perceive). Even though I don't feel the same as they do, I am trying to be sensitive to their feelings and concerns. I think things will just work out but I have been accused of being dangerously optimistic in the past....

I was over-top-giddy once my interview came around too; full of smiles and giggles...such a great professional impression to make. Ha, ha....I wouldn't have it any other way!

Guest grandmellon

I'm insane now dannyboy?! :o:O:O... I have yet to be commited to the mental asylum. Speaking of which, I do like their food... :rollin g

I had a brain wave last week, it came quickly and then left with the receding tides... but the tide has come back in... for those people who felt that they had stiff interviewers who were unreceptive to what they had to say... I believe that they are just testing you to see how you handle a stressful situation. If you are able to answer questions well under stress it will show a lot. If they are still stiff by the end of the interview, they are just trying to see how nice you are when people are mean. I remember one question from my interviewer was, something along the lines of: you have a lot of humanitarian things on your sketch, how do you know that you will be able to handle people when they are unsatisfied with your service to them? Well, at first my one alter was totally offended that she could not see my experience in various customer service areas, but then my calm alter came out and explained that I am very good at analyzing my own service/work for others and always try to receive feedback... then I went into a big hoopla about working for multimillionaires at a marina and how they loved me so much for they way I would provide top of the line service... hmm anyways.. getting back to the point... if you can handle the stress of it it shows very much... And I'm sure that you all did!!! :D

Guest Blackbird15

Hey there,

It has been a bit quiet around here... I've been visiting the McGill forum, but it's just not the same over there... yep, currently unemployed... lots of time on my hands...heh, heh... It's great by the way... spare time RULES!!!

I don't think that stiff interviewers act stiff on purpose to throw you off... I really don't think that interviewers plan how they will behave during an interview, like "o.k. for this interview, we'll all pretend to be really stiff and uninterested... hee! and for the next one, we'll be all super-friendly and responsive... and for the next one, we'll keep saying 'that's what YOU think' after each of his answers and then spontaneously break into song... and for the next one..."

I think that the tone of the interview will reflect the personality of the interiviewers. Some interviewers just have a more professional, less conversational approach because that's their personality... I don't think that that impacts at all on how they will evaluate you... I was recently in the position where I had to interview some students for a part-time position, and my approach was to be super-friendly, smiling and responsive to what they said, but boy could I see through the @#%$... my co-interviewers, who were less responsive and "nice" than I was, were also more generous in their evaluation of the students... not that I was harsh or anything... :D

take care,

Blackbird

Guest grandmellon

I do agree with you that it is their personalities sometimes! But other times they are probably testing you... I've read about it in a book! hehehe8o

On a side note.... I am getting thrown around by my insurance company... I'm going to put them in the ditch (not to mention any names D.L. Deeks [markham] and Allianz! :P)... they are giving me all sorts of problems with my insurance trying to raise rates to $500+ a month from $200 because they won't accept my residence in london (i'm here for 8 months a year and in africa for 2 hehehe and toronto for 2) anyways.. I'm just fed up with their lies and shannagans... does anyone know any decent insurance companies who are nice to young guys?? I have a clean record!! I swear! and I am a GREAT driver... none of this "young male driver syndrome" @#%$!

Give me some ideas if you have any because my insurance expires in a week hehehe thanks!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest grandmellon

tell me... this site is censored????? craziness!! ( i wonder if they'll let me put that word) all I typed was crrrrrr-a-pppppp... not a swear word just slang hahaha nerds... :P;) :eek 8o

Guest Dannyboy

Blackbird: I think you are bang on about the interviewers. I've had so many people ask me how they were to me and I'm like: who cares? I was wahoooooooooooooooo the whole time. One wasn't as friendly, for sure but I totally brushed it off to his personality type AND the situation---something tells me he does the Grandmellon and assumes a different persona when he is with the boyz playing golf, ya know? I think my inteviewers were making very honest attempts to find out who I was. Unfortunately that presented many, many, challenges cuz I was delerious at that time. Shame!

Grandmellon: I'll ask around about the insurance. That's a tough one though. EVERYONE knows how dangerous and unpredictable you cussin', Africa-travelin' youngin's are....

Have a GREAT Easter one and all!!!!!!!!!

Guest VwDubber

I can just see the headlines now.

Blackbird the evaluator ...... nice on the outside, mean on paper :D :D :D

hahaha .... you can tell I'm bored can't you?

Have you heard back from McGill yet? I know you mentioned it was your first choice. Fill us in when you know.

Good Luck :) :) :) :) :)

VDub-

Guest VwDubber

GrAnDmELlOn:

Increasing your rate from 200 to 500+ a month is injustified. Call them up and demand justification, or else take them to court. I've had the chance to deal with Allianz on my parents' behalf and they do not have very bright (yes I'm blunt) individuals working at their head office.

I'm insured with State Farm. You know .... "like a good neighbour, State Farm is there" ..:P:P:P:P:P

I have an amazing agent. She's been super cool with me since day 1. She's a ** HAG but that's besides the point. I love her!!!!!!! I think it would be a good idea for you to give your local statefarm agent a call since mine is all the way in etobicoke. Anyhow, here are some tips to help reduce your rate with Statefarm:

1) Choose an agent that is fairly small. (ie. same people are there constantly .. low turnover rate.. so if you have questions you can speak with a familar face .. instead of being sent around the bush which often happens with bigger representative agents.)

2) Once you get your raw calculated annual premium, ask for what discounts you qualify for. My raw premium was ~4K b/c I drive the 3rd most stolen vehicle in NA, (bad reputation b 4 they put immobilizers in them) I'm a male and oh yeah ... I'm YOUNG!

Now for the discounts:

3) Ask for the Good Student discount. This is the biggest discount they offered for me. To qualify, you have to be in school (obviously), under 26, and have an average of over ~75% (I'm not sure if it was 70 or 75 to be honest). this knocked off ~33% ... who ever said having decent marks didn't matter eh?

4) Tell them you only use your vehicle for leisure (ie. you don't drive it to work bla bla daily) this also saves you $$$

5) Ask for the New Customer Business Discount this knocks off roughly ~10%

6) If you buy life insurance from them, you will qualify for their Multiple line discount. It works out in your favor, b/c at my age (and yours but I don't know how old you are exactly) my monthly premium is ~20 bucks, but the discount saves me about 80 on my car insurance premium so I'm still up 60 .... plus you now also have life insurance coverage. It's like J-Lo insuring her A$$$.

7) Ask for the graduated licensing discount.

8) Ask for the 5star (I think that's what it's called) discount.

9) Don't take a deductible on direct compensation. This will increase your rate a little bit (not by much though ... so it's not a discount) but its better for you.

10) You're rate is dependant upon your demographics. With that in mind, the closer you are to Toronto, the more expensive it's going to be! Do you still have your place in London for the 2 months you're in Toronto? By industry standards .. the definition of "insured automobile address" refers to the address to which the insured vehicle will be parked for at least 6 months of the year. The choice is up to you though. Your rate may go up if you claim a Toronto address.

11) They also offer a multi-car discount. Ask for this if you qualify.

12) If you have a partner, mention this to your agent, as being married or common law significantly reduces your rate when you're young. The catch is you have to live together. I know a friend who was 23 when he got married and a few months later .. his insurance premium dropped almost by 50%. For the record, State farm recognizes both same and opposite sex partners. I had this discount at one point but decided I wanted to be closer to Toronto as my partner lives in Oakville (yes the QE is INSANE around Trafalgar) so I had to get it taken off. >: >: >: >: >:

So after having been offered all of this by my agent .... my annual prem is now ~ 1650.

Gees Louise .... who would have thought on a medical board .... everything from cars, insurance to shoes ... what's next? ;) It's all good !

Hope that helps,

VDub-

Guest grandmellon

Hey Vw Dubbadub

Thanks for your very informative post... you brought up some good points which I hadn't considered... the next question is... I currently am single... a ny single ladies out there wanna hook up to make my insurance cheaper? hahahaha... oh ... wait a second... that won't be saving money... I'll probably have to spend more if I have a lady... hmmm :eek hehehe

anyways... thanks for your help! Maybe I'll go into law school as well and take down these insurance companies for their outright biases against kind, generous, young single guys like myself. :rollin

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!

Guest grandmellon

Vw dubbadubdub, I went to my friend state farm agent "like a good neighbour, state farm is there", and they hooked me up with an awesome rate! I really can't believe the wicked deal I got... I am actually paying less then I ever have paid... sweetness!!! Woohoo... more money to pay for medical school ;) :rollin

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grandmellon

Hey Vw Dubby,

I now have three things through them house, car and camera's stereo's etc... I got a really wicked deal!! :D :D :D .... I'm back in T.O. now and working away like mad.... and also getting ready for Africa this summer!!! WOOHOO.... I leave in 6 weeks :o:O:O... yikes!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest VwDubber

Hey Mellon!

Glad to hear everything worked out well for you! Think of all the dough you're saving ... wooo hooo.

So I guess you must be all excited about your upcoming trip eh? How's the packing coming along?

Talk to you soon,

VDubzter-

Guest grandmellon

Hey Vwubzter

Yeah I am saving huge dough! Now I can make some pretzels or bread or croisants :rollin

I am very excited about my upcoming medoutreach trip to Africa!! I have been thinking about stuff to take... I haven't started packing yet because I have 23 days left to do that ;) I'll probably end up doing it the night before... which reminds me... I have to buy film!

We have been tying up all our accounts and funding. We have not met our goal yet but we do have enough money to take all our supplies and to stay there! WOOhoo hehehe... we may have to be more moderate in our plans while we are there. But who knows because we have money coming in all the time.

If anyone wants to learn more they can see our website

http://www.medoutreach.tk

:D :D :D

Archived