Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone,

I've been hearing some mixed things on how YorkU grades are being converted for American Med Schools. I've always heard that an A at York (3.8 OMSAS) is a 4.0 when converted to AMCAS. I've also heard that a B+ (3.3 at York) is a 3.5 when converted. I've read both of these things on these forums.

However, when checking the AMCAS site, although, nothing perfectly fits York's Grade Scale, I think an A may actually be a 3.7. Can a recent applicant from YorkU please comment on how their grades were converted when applying? 

Please and thank you!

Hi everyone,

I've been hearing some mixed things on how YorkU grades are being converted for American Med Schools. I've always heard that an A at York (3.8 OMSAS) is a 4.0 when converted to AMCAS. I've also heard that a B+ (3.3 at York) is a 3.5 when converted. I've read both of these things on these forums.

However, when checking the AMCAS site, although, nothing perfectly fits York's Grade Scale, I think an A may actually be a 3.7. Can a recent applicant from YorkU please comment on how their grades were converted when applying? 

Please and thank you!

I'm also interested in the answer and hope a York student who has experience with AMCAS can help us out. However checking on AMCAS (link below), I'd say York's system matches quite well with the 4th row in the 1st chart. No A-, B-, C- but has A+ and A.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/10/ab/10ab9407-7134-4477-9fc9-140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

I'm also interested in the answer and hope a York student who has experience with AMCAS can help us out. However checking on AMCAS (link below), I'd say York's system matches quite well with the 4th row in the 1st chart. No A-, B-, C- but has A+ and A.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/10/ab/10ab9407-7134-4477-9fc9-140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

I think you're right! I made the mistake of going to the last table where it mentioned "Canadian", and then used the 9-point scale.

Hopefully a YorkU student can chime in.

A is 4.0 for York through AMCAS. This is confirmed through multiple people who applied to AAMCAS over the years, several of whom are in Medical School in the US.

Also, as per the AMCAS Applicant Manual: "Please note that AMCAS assigns the same weight (4.0) to grades of A+ and A." 

Hi OP I have found some conversion calculators online. This one was pretty easy to use: https://bemoacademicconsulting.com/amcas-gpa-conversion-calculator

I also think there have been some postings on SDN (sorry PreMed 101) about this and there were some excel spreadsheets that had been developed there as well, although I am not sure how easy they were to use (sorry don't have links anymore).   

Archived