Premed 101 Forums

I'm In!

Guest bigbits99

Guest bigbits99

Hello,

Just a quick note saying that offers are also being received too. I was accepted yesterday by Mac. Kind of funny when I think about it. Anyways, let the decision making begin... good luck to the rest of you still waiting. The anxiety will soon be over.

Cheers

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Congrats on your acceptance! Have you also received offers from other schools?

Could you tell us where you live and possibly the postmark date? Just wondering if the "thinvelopes" first theory is out the window or if you have fast mail!

And before you ask.....YES I AM OBSESSIVE!!!!!

:D

Melissa

Guest Sumi23

Congrats bigbits99!

YOu must be relieved to hear the good news. I have a question if you don't mind. What did the acceptance package look like? Was it larger than regular mail?

Thanks

Guest Angela 2

Yesturday was the end of my torture. I live in Guelph and received my acceptance letters from McMaster and Queens!! Haven't heard from Western yet but I think Mac is my first choice. Good luck to all of you out there (especially Melissa!).

Guest Angela

Hi Angela!

First of all, congratulations! Like Melissa, I'm also wondering if you can let us know if there is a postmark date on your envelope.

Thanks,

Ange :)

Guest bigbits99

Hey folks,

Thanks and congrats to others. To "Melissa", I have been accepted already to UBC MD/PhD and am waiting on the others... unsure now what the heck to do. Nonetheless, I am happy/lucky to have the luxury of choice. Take it easy.

Guest Angela 2 AKA Angie

Hi Angela and Melissa,

The postdate on my envelope from Mac was May 29th and the one on my Queen's envelope was May 30th. Weird eh? I thought they weren't supposed to see a postbox until May 31st. Keep your fingers crossed everybody and remember that the waitlist moves fast. For some strange reason it seems like alot of crazy people don't choose McMaster first! Keep me posted.

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Cheers to you Angie for your hard work and success!!! It is nice to know one of the faces of those who write here, and even better to know that one of the fantastic people that I met on my interview day was successful! I am super happy for you.

Guess the thinvelope first theory is out the window. I don't understand how I could have not received a letter living here in Hamilton, when you dudes as far away as guelph heard on Friday!

To the rest of you sharing my agony, I got up at 5:30 today and am not expecting my mail till 1:30 or so...

The whole weekend has gone faster than the past 4 hours. I thought about watching a movie but I only own one and don't want to leave the vicinity to rent one. Guess which movie I own!!!!

TITANIC!! Yeah I'm gonna go watch that one right now...NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rollin

Melissa

Guest sydney

Melissa,

Could you let us know if you get a letter today? Apparently 129 offers are out, with 89 numbered on the waitlist...

I'm at work, trying to see patients, but my patience is running out...

All the best!

Sydney

Guest docR

Hi Sydney!

I was waitlisted and was just wondering where you got your info on 89 people being waitlisted? I called MAC today and asked if they could tell me what number I was on the list or even how many people were on the list and they wouldn't give me any info....This is so nerve wracking. To have waited so long since I interviewed back in March and now to have to wait with no real info is really frustrating. Anyway, I suppose there's still hope. Best of luck

R.

Guest sydney

docR

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I work within Hamilton Health Sciences so I know people, who know people, etc..(of course no one I know personally!!)which often just gets me nothing more than he said, she said, and a lot of mis-information!!!

Someone told me that because of all issues they had last year with the wait list (an explanation which I believe was posted previously by one of the monitors) they decided to make the list longer, and the unofficial number I was given was '89' wait listed in a 'rank' listed order (I did not call myself). What I find so frustrating, is that you could theoretically be 2 or 72 or 89 for that matter on the list (a big difference). The letter I received today was worded such that it made me really believe that I actually had a chance (sending an additional info sheet which even said "Congratulations on your acceptance to McMaster"!!!) but I am assuming all who are wait listed received the same 5 or 6 coloured sheets of paper...anyways, sounds like they are being very tight lipped this year...why exactly I don't know...maybe they didn't like the fact that people knew the wait list was typically exhausted....I can only speculate, just when I think I understand a bit of the process, it gets changed!! So, maybe we only have to wait another 2 weeks, hopefully...my interview was the 1st day, March 23rd, so this wait has felt like an eternity to me...but there are worse things in life, right? At least we still have some hope, so it's not all bad...

Anyways, if I find out more tommorow at work, I will post what I find out (if in fact anything) ASAP...best of luck!!

Regards, Syd

Guest Angela

Sydney,

Thanks for sharing the info you received from work. It does make me feel a bit better knowing the approx. number of people waitlisted. As you've stated, it does make a big difference whether you're among the first or last ten on the list. Take me, for instance, if I get accepted to pharmacy later this month, I wouldn't know what to do. I mean, if I know that I'm among the top 50%, then I would go for it. But if I'm one of the last ten on the list (heaven forbid!!), then it's probably to my advantage to just accept the pharmacy offer. It's still up in the air, but I'm just trying to provide an example to support your point.

Hopefully, we'll all hear good news SOON!

Cheers,

Angela :)

Guest docR

Hey Sydney!

Thanks for the info. I know the wait is difficult. Like you, I too interviewed on the first day so the wait has been a long and grueling one. Actually, I think you were in my tutorial group and I'm surprised that you didn't get an offer in the first round (but then again, I'm surprised I didn't either...lots of great candidates, I guess). I'm the high school chem teacher so like you, I would have alot of things to sort out work wise if I'm fortunate enough to receive a late offer. Anyway, hang in there! Hopefully, it will all work itself out soon enough.

Take care.

R.

Guest sydney

Hey docR!!

Yes, I'm sure you were in my group!! I too totally thought that you would an acceptance right away, lots of talented people I guess!!!...wonder how the others in our group faired? Hopefully we will meet up in August....I'm the OT (as you probably guess from my previous posts...) who was way too nervous in my personal interview, and group as well, so I'm not too surprised I was waitlisted... Well, at least you'll have the summer off to relax (should have done teaching 1st!!), I think I'll still be working, but giving notice the second I get accepted, if I do!!

Keep up with this site, let me know how you fair, I'll do the same...wish I had stumbled on this site PRIOR to my interview (well, maybe it was a good thing...I don't think I have ever spent as much time on the internet as I have since last week, when I just happened to find this crazy note board!!)

Anyways, take care...

Syd

Guest docR

Hey Sydney,

I will definitely keep you posted as to how things turn out. It's nice to know someone on the site. Actually, I find all of this sharing of ideas comforting. Good to know that I'm not the only one speculating about the wait list and all of the possible outcomes. I've been following many of your posts and I must say that your optimism is great! Makes me think that there may still be a good chance of things working out for many (if not all) of us who are still waiting. In the meantime, I'm contemplating writing the MCAT in preparation for applying again. Take care and all the best.

Rash

p.s. I too am turning into an internet junkie!

Guest bubbagump

Congrats Sumi23. I'd also like to know what you will do, as I noticed you listed Queens as your #1 choice.

I'm quite surprised that they made the offer already. Didn't they say they were waiting until Monday to start waitlist offers???

Guest Sumi23

Thanks Mar and Bubbagump.

I was really really surprised to hear so soon from mac. I thought they were calling starting on monday. I am tempted to call back to confirm. It was so early in the morning I am hoping it wasn't a dream. I am really grateful to be accepted to mac. However, I would still like to be considered for Queen's so I will be provisionally accepting mac's offer.

Guest Bubbagump

Sounds good Sumi23. You seem like a nice person and I'm glad things worked out for you. Did McMaster give you any information on when you need to respond by? And did they leave a message the first time they called? Any info is muchly appreciated.

Guest Sumi23

Hi Bubbagump,

I am in Vancouver so the call was a bit early, at about 7am. The lady who called me, mary beth, was in the process of leaving me a message when I ran to pick up the phone. She told me a lot of stuff but I couldn't really focus. I know that I have till the 28th to get back to mac and omsas. I hope that helps. I guess you are waiting to hear back and I wish you the best of luck.

Guest Angela

Congrats Sumi!!! I'm happy for you too!! I know that Queen's is your first choice, but now you don't have to worry about anything because either way, you're going to med school in September.

Guest sydney

Congrats Sumi23 that is great news! Guess they started calling a little earlier than they had said...great news for you!

Cross your fingers for the rest of us MAC die-hards, docR, angela, bubba and myself...good luck with the Queen's list, you may have to make a choice!

Have a great weekend guys!

Archived