Premed 101 Forums

Mac Madness

Guest Dannyboy

Guest Dannyboy

Has any else been struck dumb with the irony that Mac is the least competitive med school program but it is the most competitive program to get into...

Anyho, here are some insanity tips for all you Mac wannabes just in case this whole application process isn't driving you completely nutso:

How to maintain a healthy level of insanity:

1. At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and

point a hair dryer at passing cars. See if they slow down.

2. Page yourself over the intercom. Don't disguise your voice.

3. Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries with that.

4. Put your garbage can on your desk and label it "in"

5. Put decaf in the coffee maker for 3 weeks. Once everyone has gotten over their caffeine addictions, switch to espresso.

6. In the memo field of all your checks, write "for sexual favors."

7. Finish all your sentences with "in accordance with the prophecy."

8. Don't use any punctuation marks

9. As often as possible, skip rather than walk.

10. Ask people what sex they are. Laugh hysterically after they answer.

11. Specify that your drive-through order is "to go."

12. Sing along at the opera.

13. Go to a poetry recital and ask why the poems don't rhyme.

14. Put mosquito netting around your work area. Play a tape of jungle sounds all day.

15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their party because you're not in the mood.

16. Have your coworkers address you by your wrestling name, Rock Hard Kim.

17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!", "I won!" "3rd time this week!!!!!"

18. When leaving the zoo, start running towards the parking lot, yelling "run for your lives, they're loose!!"

19. Tell your children over dinner. "due to the economy, we are going* * * * to have to let one of you go."

And the final way to keep a healthy level of insanity.......

Well duh, be one of the 4 000 people who apply to Mac....

Edited the subject to get rid of the all-caps. -Ian

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

Thanks for the above list (nice little bit of humour there), but the cheap shot at Mac was not appreciated. If you have something concrete that you actually want to articulate (ie. you dislike PBL for a given reason, or you think that 3 years is too short to do med school), then fine, but to say "Mac is the least competitive med school program but it is the most competitive program to get into" doesn't make sense.

Clearly they are doing something right with respect to either their curriculum or their admissions procedures to be the most applied-to med school in Canada.

Ian

Guest nubar89

Dannyboy,

Thanks for the hilarious list. It was a refreshing break from all of the stressful banter.

Ian,

In Dannboy's defence... I think he was just kidding, and trying to lighten the mood of the discusion board. Nevertheless, you are correct in stating that Mac is clearly doing something right, and that it is why it is my first choice.

NBR

Guest Ian Wong

On re-reading things, I can totally see another innocuous way that the first message could be interpreted. Mea culpa for the itchy trigger-finger. :P

Ian

Guest Dannyboy

Ian: no offence but you seriously have to lighten up. I did take offence to your comments. You are at times, in my opinion, far too heavy handed. I am a very proud Mac applicant thank you very much---I applied BECAUSE Mac is decidedly non-competitive and among a wide variety of things, because it values infusing a sense of humour into situations that can be a bit stressful.

Do you really think I would have taken the time to write my post just to Mac-bash??? Really?? Why on earth would I "bash" the very school that I worked so hard to try and get into???

I think that it is crucial to try and see the best in a situation not the most negative. I don't think it is in anyone's best interest to "jump" on people without considerable thought. I appreciate that you took the time to reread the post and to re-evaluate it but you did not edit your first post and the second sort of has a flavour about it that suggests that you might still think that I was "bashing" Mac---I don't think ANY reference to my even possibly negatively evaluating Mac should be on this forum. It is not at all fair to me and it is a completely wrong observation.

I am going to book off of this forum--I have a very low tolerance level for judgemental and totally unnecessary censorship/commentary.

Guest Lynlloyd

Thanks Dannyboy,

Your jokes came along at just the right time. I'm trying my best to get some reading done and I'm constantly being interrupted! Some much needed levity came to my rescue.

Ian,

I'm glad that you saw the funny side as I know that Dannyboy would not mean anything negative. Like the rest of us stressed interviewees, some laughter was needed:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin .

Lynlloyd.

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

You are at times, in my opinion, far too heavy handed.
Granted. Moderating is an imperfect endeavour, and there are always going to be times when you intervene unnecessarily. But, just as I tried to take things from your point of view, please take a look at mine.

These forums have been around for over two application cycles, and something that happens at about this time every year is that people use these forums to vent their frustrations about the application process (whether that be because they didn't get interviews, didn't get accepted, whatever). Last year was a particularly bad year for this, and the moderators and I have worked very hard to ensure that this negative backlash didn't repeat itself this year. I think we've succeeded, in large part because we have been more vigilant this year and have intervened earlier. As an unfortunate side effect though, this means that we will eventually stick our noses in a discussion that doesn't need them.

I have to say up-front that moderating is here to stay, and I think it's far and away superior to no moderation at all. The Delphi forums self-destructed and shut down primarily due to a lack of moderation, and I have no intention of letting that happen here. If the choice is between more or less moderation, I try to stay out of things as much as possible, but I have no intention of letting last year's personal attacks repeat themselves this year.

I don't enjoy this part of moderating (it is by far my least favorite aspect of running these forums), and that is why I try to do it as seldomly as possible. Each month, we get several thousands of messages posted on this site, and I probably intervene in less than 10 of these threads a month. The readers of this forum are great in that sense because the high maturity level here means that people police themselves, and in almost every single case don't type out that personal attack that sheer impulse might otherwise send out.

Finally, I left up my original comments as a courtesy to you because I thought it would be unprofessional to do otherwise, particularly after I'd been called on them. That is the reason I left the original but posted an apology to you as well. I still believe that "Mac is the least competitive med school program but it is the most competitive program to get into" can be interpreted in a number of ways, and one of them is a pretty derogatory statement, particularly in light of how much flak Mac takes for having a much more open mind regarding both their curriculum and admissions process. Despite that, I'd like to apologize to you for the heavy fist.

I'm going to continue to moderate in the same manner because I believe that this year the forums have continued to remain very professional despite a huge influx of new visitors since the last application cycle. I hope you can relate to why I feel this level of moderation is necessary. But, there's room here for all contributors, and I hope you'll continue on as well.

Cheers,

Ian

Guest McMastergirl

Ian, I think you're absolutely right. The moderator job is a tough one, but I for one really appreciate your efforts to keep this forum civilized.

Archived