Premed 101 Forums

letter from McMaster and oop app

Guest cali

I just received a letter from McMaster. It confirms your geographical region and dates of the interviews.

Two question...

how do they decide who to interview with respect to oop applicants. Do they choose the top 10%, the top 30 applicant, etc...

What is the quota for oop interviews and admissions, if any?

Thanks

Guest gucio93

Hi Cali!

Here's a quote from the Mac website with regard to the consideration of oop applicants. I'm sorry that I don't have anything more specific for you. If this does not provide the answer you need, you may consider calling the admissions office to ask, or perhaps someone else has clearer info. Hope this helps you somewhat.

"The geographical status is determined from the Autobiographic Sketch. Applicants may be asked to provide evidence of geographical status. In selecting applicants for interview, the bona fide place of residence will be used in the following order of priority: 1. the province of Ontario; 2. the rest of Canada; and 3. other countries.

To qualify for 1) above, an applicant must: a. be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident by October 15, 2001, and b. have resided for at least three years in Ontario since the age of 14. Attendance at a university in Ontario for at least three years by the date of possible entry to the programme satisfies the second requirement.

Any other applicant who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident qualifies for 2. All other applicants qualify for 3. While all applicants from this category are considered, they may be selected for interview only if they are judged on each criterion to be clearly superior to other applicants. Applicants from this category may instead prefer to apply to the International Applicant Pool."

On the McMaster website they have posted the stats from the last two years of accepted applicants. Last year there were 10 oop applicants accepted and the year before there were 8. As for quotas or how they pick them, I have NO idea!!! Sorry, I read your post and then came across this info and thought it might help?

The link to the two years of stats is at:

www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdpro...ection.htm

This page is entitled "The Selection Process" so maybe try to dig around there some more, or I think gucio93's idea of calling is also a good one - or email, I've always got very clear, fast answers without making the long distance call!

Good Luck!

cait

Archived