Premed 101 Forums

Funding An Mpt Degree

Just wondering what current and previous students experience has been funding their degrees. I looked into Canada Student Loans but it looks like they will only pay $20k over two years, which will only cover books, tuition, student fees, and possibly a bit more. I am thinking of supplementing this with a student line of credit. Additionally UBC seems to strongly recommend that students NOT work while completing their degree. I could see picking up a handful of shifts over the year, but I doubt that would bring in that much overall.  I think it's difficult to live near Vancouver on less than $1500 a month for rent and other living expenses.

How much have other students gotten from CSL, and how much did they get on a Professional Student Line of credit? Which bank is the best? Is a car necessary for placements?

Yes good question! Something that is on all our minds. You're right about student loans :/ and most if not all programs recommend not working at all. programs are very demanding and in my opinion I would never want to sacrifice my academic success just to make a little extra $$ for school. Especially since my time will be much more valuable once I graduate. My gf went though Med school and she seems to think that most banks will specifically have student lines of credit designated for professional programs. Med students often have access to 200 K upon acceptance. I think mpt students are more like 45-50 k? I don't have excellent credit so I'm not sure if I'll need to get my parents as co-signers... but I am assuming I'll get about 12000 a year from student loans (will just cover tuition in Ontario) and that everything else will go on my line of credit.

Archived