Premed 101 Forums

GPA course outlier

If it's a course you really messed up (and obvs it is, if it manages to bring down your gpa that much) --- check the late drop policy of the school you received your grade from. It's not an easy process generally and if you can take another couple courses to knock it off your sgpa that would maybe be the better option.... however if it lies in the middle of your last 20 courses you can consider finding a reason to appeal it be dropped. Again I would only consider this option if you have no others and it may not be applicable. In my case I applied for and received one late drop for a course that would have dramatically decreased my sgpa. I spoke to an academic counsellor at my school and they advised me how to proceed. I provided documentation for extenuating circumstances and then showed them how it was obvious that this one course did not reflect my academic ability and motivation (comparing it to every other course I had already taken). Good luck! 

On 6/30/2017 at 8:10 PM, PTwinterlo said:

But as the other commentor alluded to ---- I wouldn't worry about this course if it's only your cgpa that is affected. The sgpa is what will make or break your chances when considering the orpas application process 

It's definitely in my sgpa but I can take other courses to maybe dilute the mark. In your previous post were you talking about Academic concession? That was the only thing I could find similar to what you talked about at UBC

On 6/30/2017 at 8:08 PM, PTwinterlo said:

If it's a course you really messed up (and obvs it is, if it manages to bring down your gpa that much) --- check the late drop policy of the school you received your grade from. It's not an easy process generally and if you can take another couple courses to knock it off your sgpa that would maybe be the better option.... however if it lies in the middle of your last 20 courses you can consider finding a reason to appeal it be dropped. Again I would only consider this option if you have no others and it may not be applicable. In my case I applied for and received one late drop for a course that would have dramatically decreased my sgpa. I spoke to an academic counsellor at my school and they advised me how to proceed. I provided documentation for extenuating circumstances and then showed them how it was obvious that this one course did not reflect my academic ability and motivation (comparing it to every other course I had already taken). Good luck! 

Just wanted to ask you about this one part of their "How to apply" page on U of T PT:

"Please note, due to the discrepancy in grade reporting across universities, in order to capture 20 half credits, the GPA must be calculated based on yearly versus term marks. Thus, where grades must be extracted from a year to achieve the equivalent of 20 half courses, the average of that entire year (including both the fall and winter terms) will be used."

So, if I still have fall (September-December) marks before I apply to U of T, does that mean they would take the average of my January-May term marks? So it may not affect my sGPA as bad?

It means they will take your average GPA from an entire year and weight that as the remaining half credits needed. Everyone`s is different but for example, they took 4 half credits from my fall term in 4th year, 12 half credits from my 3rd year, and then averaged all of my 2nd year courses to get an average GPA which was then used in the place of 4 half credits. Kind of confusing sorry, but I hope you understood what I was saying or someone else can answer that question better!

Archived