Premed 101 Forums

one more week!!

Guest macdreams

Guest macdreams

:eek

MAN, I needed this Reading Week to unwind... not from the stress of school but the stress of waiting for a letter from Mac (here's hoping for a large envelope!)

Just 7 more days!! GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE :D :D

:eek

Is that how it works? All the letters go out at the same time in early March?

I'm one of those crazies who keeps applying to Mac (three times before this one already, and twice I used the same essay - the second time it was scored drastically lower.)

This time I changed my essay. Probably too much humour (and, as I noticed last night - two typos - what a dork - I hope that doesn't ruin my chances!)

Fingers crossed for all of us. (Fingers cramping!)

Cheers,

Matt

Ditto on doctorfunks message.

Matt, fyi... according to previous threads, all letters in the past went out on the same day (rejection and invite) and that was typically on March 1st. So, we're all hoping that Mac will continue this trend and send out the letters on Monday, March 3rd. (But remember that the letters we received in January said that all applicants should have info by March 15th, so if you don't get a letter on the 4th or 5th, continue to be patient... it will come).

Sending out good vibes to everyone ;)

T

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey Matt:

First, let me publicly apologize for my cantor on the other site in which I blasted your for your "armed forces" post. In the spirit of information-sharing and transparency, please forgive me?! :rolleyes . I don't want you to think that I'm :evil . Perhaps these last minute jitters had me on edge; I truly should have known better and I am really not that type of person to say nasty things (but I won't recant my opposition to war or the armed forces)....

Second, can you share with us what you have learned applying so many times? Did you get an interview after your first few attempts?

I too am going insane thinking somehow the letter will mysteriously appear early. I doubt they've even been mailed yet:\

BTW...I too made two spelling errors that I recently noticed....but they were minor and were likely overlooked

Macdaddyeh

Guest Dannyboy

about the spelling mistakes...did anyone not make some? I don't know how it was possible. I did everything in word and stripped it of editing but my OMSAS app would not accept my responses. I had to re-type everything and the system was continuously shutting down so I had to re-type what I re-typed--no, I didn't do things last minute. So, my final responses were not checked by an external source.

Does Mac take the entire appl process into account--if I had any idea how many tech complications I would encounter, I would have done a paper app.

Someone told me that spelling/grammar mistakes will drastically reduce your score--true or false? If that is the case, I would think much less of the process Mac uses. Yes, they are important, of course, but surely content is more important?

I've asked someone who is definitely in the know (30 years on the admissions board) and apparently at U of T it's not a factor.

In the end I laughed off the whole situation. How often do you get to make a $270 (the app fee) spelling error? It is kind of funny, don't you think? C'est la vie.

Guest Carolyn

No-one was told to make a specific reduction for spelling errors but when an application is FILLED with them (and there are often applications with LOTS of spelling errors) it makes it look sloppy - and that would likely have an effect on the overall mark. As many have said, this is one of the most important things you will write in your career so an application filled with spelling errors may cause a marker to question how much you really want to go to medical school

That said, there is a good chance markers won't notice the two spelling errors and the majority of markers probably woudl forgive a couple of spelling errors.

Our residency application was all on-line this year. I finished mine two weeks before the original due date and then that date was moved two weeks back because of major computer problems... in that last month, I was amazed at all of the little errors I found as I neurotically re-checked and re-checked the application... I got extra people to read it over in it's final print form and they also found errors I'd read over multiple times.

Good luck -- I hope that you all get the good envelopes over the next few weeks.

Carolyn

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi guys/gals:

Is the second week of March date mean when they could be SENT or RECEIVED? Which one?

Also, I live in an apartment where I have a TINY hole to receive mail. ANYTHING over the size of an average letter-sized envelope goes to a special pick-up location. I guess that's a way for me to know it if is good news (if the good news that is, really doesn't come in the dreaded "thinvelope.")

Obsessing yet again, I know. How many more sleepless nights now?

Guest Carolyn

Three years ago the good letter was also in a standard size envelope - just a little thicker than the thin envelope I'd received the year before.

Crossing my fingers for lots of thick envelopes for you guys.

You'd have to call admissions to ask when they are sending out the letters... Hopefully you'll get someone on the phone who will tell you!

Hey, no worries! Wait till you hear my views on conscription! :rollin :D

You know what I've learned from applying so many times... That I really had no business applying those first few times.

I didn't receive interviews until last year after my Master's was completed. Mac has never noticed me :(

My first application was weak and I've steadily improved on it every year, more education, better grades, promotions, more volunteer work, observerships, growth, family, house, career... When is this going to happen already >: !!! :D :b

Good Luck to all of you! Hope this last week is bearable!

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. Go Army!

P.P.S. Have you ever heard the recruitment slogan "We do more before 9 o'clock than most people do in a day" - How is that a recruitment slogan? It's only because we're up at freaking O'dark thirty.)

P.P.P.S I'm addicted to this board.

Guest Tartuffe

Hello macdaddyeh,

I do not know how much it can help you to relax... but imagine my situation:

I am a landed immigrant, my foreign-undergrad GPA is not convertible even if my canadian master is pretty competitive, I am considered OOP, English is my second language, I do not have written the MCAT and I am short a Bio and Orga Chem courses in order to meet the requirements of U of O (even that with my foreign undergrad their is no way that I meet the cutt off.) :(

Base on that, my only hope is a miracle... Hence every sleeplees night : I pray --- And when I sleep, I dream it happened :b

Otherwise I read this board... :\

Guest macdaddyeh

Do you want to know about obsessive?

I've reviewed by Autobio Submission every day this week, despite the fact that I submitted it 5 months ago! I've also got my outfit chosen despite the fact that I haven't even been granted an interview, to my knowledge:rolleyes .

Third, I am neurotically checking this website every hour (sometimes every few minutes) as if it will somehow yield some secrets that I don't already know.....

Anybody else feeling the same way? I'm a MAC virgin in that it was my first time applying...Must be first time jitters:rollin

PS..Did you fellow posters see how popular the MAC option is as first choice this year under the OMSAS post heading. The competition for that coveted spot is driving me insane.

Thank God for this website.

Tarfuffe, Je suis desole. J'espere que nous pouvons te consoler!

Guest macdreams

Hi everyone!

Macdaddyeh, I'm a Mac Virgin too and totally on the edge of my seat. I live in a residence where the mail arrives at the porter's desk in the a.m. but is not in our mailboxes until 3 p.m. at the earliest. I'm trying to find ways to get the (HOPEFULLY good) news sooner next week but we'll see ;)

Good luck staying calm this week everyone!

P.S. I'm a compulsive checker too... this is my 6th time today :rollin

Guest macdreams

p.p.s Where exactly is this info Macdaddyeh?

"Did you fellow posters see how popular the MAC option is as first choice this year under the OMSAS post heading."

I'd love to see those stats :rolleyes

Guest MACbetty

hi macdaddyeh,

you are not alone! I've reviewed my autobio sketch many times in the last couple of months. When i get done, i feel pretty good about my chances. Then, it hits me that i'm an OOP, and suddenly my hopes are dashed. And then a few days later, i repeat the entire process. My husband thinks i'm nuts! Well, i can't blame him.

Also, I've thought about how i will have my hair cut if i get an interview, plus i've done a little window shopping looking for the perfect suit. And of course, I check this forum a few times a day (i'm addicted), hoping it will reveal some new piece of information.

This is also my first time applying to med school and to Mac and i think i have first time jitters. Anyway, it's great knowing that i'm not alone in my madness.

Thank goodness i'm leaving for Whistler today for a few days of snowboarding. No thinking about med school, no computers and no forum--i'll be free. I'm back Monday and i hope to some good news in the mail box.

Hang in there Macdaddyeh and see you monday on the message board!

cheers

Macbetty

Hi Guys,

I was reading these postings and it sounds pretty familiar. I was in the same boat last year (I guess I am in the same boat this year too). But I think it is unhealthy to obsess about it. I had such high hopes last year that when the rejection came I was in denial as in there is got to be a mistake. So please be realistic about your chances. Chances are one in ten. I have accpeted that. I applied this year and if I dont get in I will apply next year again.

But you are right this site is addictive. I also find myself checking the site at least every couple of hours! Anyhow I hope we all get interviews and get in:p

cheers

Guest macdreams

Good advice, Habra. It's always nice to get some from someone who has been through the process before.

"1 in 10, 1 in 10... it's an honour just to be in a possition to apply", that's my mantra this week :P that, and doing a lot of stress releiving yoga :lol

Archived