Premed 101 Forums

Verifier for a death in the family???

Guest joi

I want to talk about how the death of my aunt affected be in one my questions...but to put the funeral home as a reference??? Isnt that kinda crude?

What should I do in this situation?

Guest macmed

Hi,

I answered a question along the same lines in another post. To answer your question, I don't think you have to put a verifier for your aunt's death. The purpose of the verifiers is so we who are marking the application have a means of checking out a rather unbelievable story (like that you single-handedly saved the lives of 10 drowning children, for example). A death in the family is not unbelievable, I'm sure you'd agree. On the other hand, you might put a parent or other family member as a verifier if you feel you need to put something.

Hope this helps!

MM

Class 2004

I did save two lives while I was lifeguarding...by putting that in, do you think it sounds pretentious or too "common"?? Getting paranoid about sounding cocky or cheezzy

Guest macmed

I was just kidding about the lifesaving thing! If you were planning to put that in, go ahead, but you would definitely need verifiers (ie witnesses) for something like that. But only put it in if it is relevant to one of the questions. Really its HOW you answer the questions, not what you have actually done (meaning that you can get in without being a hero - I certainly am not one!).

Archived