Premed 101 Forums

When should I start asking for reference letters? (OMSAS)

Going into 3rd year and am planning on applying to both the US and Canada next cycle. I am considering opening an Interfolio account for the US to start collecting their required science reference letters. Just confused on how OMSAS works in comparison and when I should start asking for them.

When should I start asking for reference letters from professors for OMSAS? Do you only request letters through OMSAS when the application opens for the cycle, meaning that you should be in touch with professors and other writers then?

Thanks!

You should contact your professors as early as possible to ask them if they would be willing to write you a reference letter, and they can even write it in advance if they want. However, they won't be able to submit the letter until the OMSAS system opens. What happens is you write on your OMSAS application who your referees will be, and OMSAS lets you print out a form with their name on it. You would then give them that form which they fill out (it's just a bunch of check boxes marking various attributes). They then mail their letter and that form in together to OMSAS during the application cycle before October.

I hope that clarifies things.

1 hour ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

You should contact your professors as early as possible to ask them if they would be willing to write you a reference letter ... OMSAS lets you print out a form with their name on it...

I hope that clarifies things.

For the last cycle everything was just emailed to the references. You didn't have to physically give them anything.  I think asking if they're willing and giving  them a heads up is fantastic advice though 

Archived