Premed 101 Forums

Questions for folks with a Kinesiology/Exercise physiology/Rehab Sci minor/major

lcs.tmng

Hi,

I know all schools and programs are different, but I'm pretty sure one course in neurology/motor control and one course in biomechanics is pretty standard everywhere.

Which one of those courses did you found the most interesting? What was the workload like? How useful was previous knowledge in physics/physiology/anatomy/psychology? (please specify the school and program)

Both motor control and biomechanics required a pretty firm grasp of basic anatomy and physiology. Physics was pretty standard for biomechanics. I personally found motor control far more interesting since it outlined the basic neural circuitry behind movement planning and execution as well as some pathophysiology behind movement disorders. Biomech to me was just a lot of applied physics calculations which can be interesting if you like to determine stress patterns on bones and ligaments. Not so much for me. I did my degree in Kin at Dal. 

On 10/2/2017 at 3:55 PM, ExercMed said:

Both motor control and biomechanics required a pretty firm grasp of basic anatomy and physiology. Physics was pretty standard for biomechanics. I personally found motor control far more interesting since it outlined the basic neural circuitry behind movement planning and execution as well as some pathophysiology behind movement disorders. Biomech to me was just a lot of applied physics calculations which can be interesting if you like to determine stress patterns on bones and ligaments. Not so much for me. I did my degree in Kin at Dal. 

DW's a great teacher, eh?

Yeah, my favourite kin course was motor control, but it turns out I'm actually a neuroscience major at heart--currently doing my master's in it. I did a year at Dal before transferring to an Ivy (to study neuro), and I didn't find the workload all that bad. Phys/anat knowledge was helpful for the phys/anat courses; psych was helpful for the 2nd year motor control course; physics would probably be helpful for biomechanics.

Archived