Premed 101 Forums

is it possible to study for the DAT and take courses at the same time?

Majority of people do so. If you study before hand during the summer, you can just take practice tests leading up to November. At times I found it challenging based on my exam schedule, but I also was taking a full course load. It's very possible for you. Just have to manage your studying and plan according to your strengths and schedule

Edit: Good luck with the DAT!

It's for sure doable! Considering you are only taking 2-3 courses than it for sure is! I studied for the DAT while taking 5 courses, and it was very difficult but with the proper time management I was able to pull it off. I would strongly suggest you do most of your studying during the summer so once the school year starts it's more light review and going through practice exams. 

I have 5 weeks at the beginning of summer to study for it and two weeks at the end...Im going on a trip that I had planned since last year from June-july and im taking a 6 week bio chem course for the other half thats also a pre req for the DMD program im applying to... leaving me with 7 full weeks of summer to study for it. Other wise I wouldn't be worried :( 

3 hours ago, Embracery said:

Very possible. I studied 2 weeks for the DAT and scored 90+ percentile in all categories other than manual dexterity (never bothered for soap carving since UofT doesn't require it). 7 Weeks would be overkill in my opinion.

wow the DAT is light af then, thanks bro! I will leave it it until late October. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

While I applaud Dentistry 101 for those kind of results - given what is on the line - why not err on the side of caution - i.e. you can't "overstudy" - as long as you are not neglecting your other studies. The vast majority of people I've talked to did carry a full course load but also did study way more that what Dentistry 101 is claiming

19 hours ago, hopeful42 said:

While I applaud Dentistry 101 for those kind of results - given what is on the line - why not err on the side of caution - i.e. you can't "overstudy" - as long as you are not neglecting your other studies. The vast majority of people I've talked to did carry a full course load but also did study way more that what Dentistry 101 is claiming

Thanks for the applause but you have the wrong person..

On October 10, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Embracery said:

On October 10, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Embracery said:

Very possible. I studied 2 weeks for the DAT and scored 90+ percentile in all categories other than manual dexterity (never bothered for soap carving since UofT doesn't require it). 7 Weeks would be overkill in my opinion.

From those I've talked to who have done well on their DAT I wouldn't estimate 7 weeks to be overkill at all... the more prepared you are the better

• 2 weeks later...

No one cAn speak for you. It depends on your time management skills and how you pace yourself. Follow ari’s schedule on dat bootcamp for 2-3 days and see if you can at least follow that. This self-diagnosis will likely determine how well you can pace yourself for the rest of studying. I personally spent 2 months of full time dat preparation and still didn’t feel prepared. 

Archived