Premed 101 Forums

How much French should I know for McGill?

So say if I don’t know a lick of French ...... and I get into the qualifying year ....... and I’m accepted into the masters program........ could I not just do my first clinical placement in an English speaking facility then do the rest in my home province? 

And since this this is my first post Hello Everyone!

On 11/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, Happyness said:

So say if I don’t know a lick of French ...... and I get into the qualifying year ....... and I’m accepted into the masters program........ could I not just do my first clinical placement in an English speaking facility then do the rest in my home province? 

And since this this is my first post Hello Everyone!

From my understanding the French proficiency must be passed regardless, as even within an English speaking facility you will still encounter patients that may only speak French or want their healthcare provided in French. Keep in mind, over 60% of the population in Montreal is Francophone. 

Regardless, if you were to live in Montreal it would be a good idea to have a basic understanding of the language and be able to have brief conversation in French.

• 2 months later...

No need for french for the program. The general hospitals downtown in montreal are english but some patients may be french. If it is best to know basic french, if not Mcgill offers a specific french course for health professionals to use during placement. You really don't need french until your first placement which has to be in montreal.

in terms of actually pass a french test that is only if you plan to stay and work in Quebec after otherwise you can take the National exam.

PT QY 2017 

21 hours ago, ssava041 said:

No need for french for the program. The general hospitals downtown in montreal are english but some patients may be french. If it is best to know basic french, if not Mcgill offers a specific french course for health professionals to use during placement. You really don't need french until your first placement which has to be in montreal.

in terms of actually pass a french test that is only if you plan to stay and work in Quebec after otherwise you can take the National exam.

PT QY 2017 

Thank you!

Archived