Premed 101 Forums

the wait is killing me

Guest cher1234

Guest cher1234

Hello everyone.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is also going nuts waiting for the end of May/first week of June :rollin . Although I am normally very patient, this wait is killing me!! What's worse is I keep ruminating about my interview day and doubting my performance. Is this normal or am I just losing my mind:eek ?

Guest grandmellon

You seem to be suffering from the classic premed PTSD syndrome with flash backs and all. There's nothing to worry because it's a perfectly normal reaction.. however, you MUST be extremely concerned if you don't have any of the above symptoms... please see your family physician immediately for treatment...:rollin

Guest jmh2005

Well, as the subject line says...this is normal! So don't worry, you are not alone. It seems like forever, but just try to do the things you enjoy, have fun...time always seems to fly when you are having fun! Hang in there!!

Guest Lynlloyd

Hi guys, I just got this from one of my daily mails. Thought it was appropriate....Lynlloyd.

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."

Belva Davis

Award-Winning Journalist

Guest macMDstudent

I'll try to give some friendly advice from someone who's been in your shoes (twice!). You can't change things that happened on interview day but write them down while they are fresh in your mind in case the worst happens. If you do end up having to apply again, you'll be glad to have the notes before it becomes more of a fuzzy memory.

Also keep in mind that your waiting might not be over. As has been mentioned in other topics, the waiting list can be pretty big and a lot of people get in that way. You will then go from watching for the postal carrier to getting paranoid about your phone ringing! You'll curse every telemarketer when your stomach goes into your throat on that first ring. Or worse, no messages after being out all day. I've been there! That could go on right into the first weeks of school in August and September. Luckilly for me I got the call earlier than that! So you've got to try to get on with life and put it out of mind as much as possible.

Just remember only 3 things can happen: accepted (big envelope), waiting list (big envelope last year) or rejected (thin envelope). Be ready for anything, but try to have a normal as possible life in the meantime.

Guest MayFlower1

macMDstudent,

Also keep in mind that your waiting might not be over. As has been mentioned in other topics, the waiting list can be pretty big and a lot of people get in that way.

Yup...since my wife is a physician, many of our friends are also physicians...let me tell you...only two of about 10 people we know got in first-round. Also, only two (not the same two) people we know got in the first time they applied!

You will then go from watching for the postal carrier to getting paranoid about your phone ringing! You'll curse every telemarketer when your stomach goes into your throat on that first ring. Or worse, no messages after being out all day. I've been there!

Yikes, I've never really thought back to that part of last year's experience (last year was my first application/interview cycle). It's so true...all of a sudden the phone becomes "all important"...and the mail gets left in the dust...it can really get annoying...

That could go on right into the first weeks of school in August and September.

Yikes, this is the worst possible outcome but, as noted, waiting through at least part of the summer is really the norm. Man, I hope I don't have to wait this long to find out...

Just remember only 3 things can happen: accepted (big envelope), waiting list (big envelope last year) or rejected (thin envelope). Be ready for anything, but try to have a normal as possible life in the meantime.

Be thankful you have the opportunity to be outright rejected ;) Ottawa sends out acceptances..."good waitlists" and "bad waitlists". Although the "bad waitlist" letter clearly says...and this is obviously heavily paraphrased..."Mr./Ms. X, thank you for applying but you were evaluated low relative to other candidates and really don't have a chance in %*^^ to get in this year...start considering other options"...many (myself included) really hold on to that one pixel of hope...can be quite annoying as well...your mind says..."I know i don't have a chance this year" but your heart says "well? Miracles do happen...perhaps 400 people 250 people will turn down the school!

Peter

Guest Dannyboy

I kinda don't mind the wait. I am in the worst situation imaginable (well, being too dramatic here but ya get the point) too but......

Sort of reminds me of an impending maybe-Christmas. You know how X-mas can theoretically be great, especially if you've made your best efforts at being good at year but still....some times...nasty outcomes. Sometimes it's over in a day and that is either really good or not so good; other times it drags on to infinity....friggin' pine needles pricking your feet into August......

Guest Biochem10

That's funny Dannyboy because that's exactly what I was comparing it to. When peachy got her letter for the MD/PhD program at U of T, I was so nervous about checking the mailbox the next day that I had a hard time sleeping or doing anything for that matter--it was the same feeling I had when I was a little kid on Christmas eve. Anyway, when the letter didn't come, I had to call the office and ask--it was like I couldn't do anything unless I knew the situation. Well, my parents think I'm pretty obsessed about it, but they don't understand. Now that I've been accepted somewhere I feel like I can breathe again, it takes a little pressure off to know I have options. Before I was stressing out about my Masters application.

Guest cher1234

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful advice. It's nice to hear that I am not crazy (at least in this regard) and my reaction is "normal."

Good luck to everyone waiting with me!

Guest mumfirst

Under any other circumstances, I would be trying to slow the approach of May 30th - I will be turning 40 on that day! :o

On the other hand, I can hardly believe how slow the days are passing and I wish there was some way to speed up the process! ;)

The irony of it all is somewhat comforting though. I might get a rejection and that would just be another bitter pill to swallow along with turning 40.:\ Of course, I am hoping that the big 4-0 will absolutely be just the beginning of good things to come...and wouldn't a great big Mac'ceptance be a wonderful way to celebrate?:D My fingers are crossed for the best birthday present ever!!!:lol

And...may you all be celebrating on the 30th with me - with your own acceptances of course!!! :)

Guest Dannyboy

Congrats on your acceptance to McGill (did I get the right school?) Biochem.

I hear you on the "other people not understanding" situation. Gosh! Amateurs! Innocents! What do non-medical-school-applicants know about waiting and obsessing!!!!!!!

Always good to hear that someone is once again breathing......I was sooooooooo born to be a dr. (you too).

Have a great weekend:eek

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm not a medical school applicant (this year!), but I totally know what you guys are going through. Good Luck.

BTW - How do you think I got addicted to these sites (this + Delphi, which is defunct) in the first place? :eek

Guest MayFlower1

Hey mumfirst,

My birthday is on May 1st (hence, the name)...I will also be turning 40 this year... :eek

I guess us "old crones" bookend the pre-letter wait with some celebration! I am hoping for a belated birthday present on May 30th from the adcoms!

Peter

Guest macdreams

Hey MayFlower1 & mumfirst!

In case I forget to say it later... HAPPY early B-DAY to both of you :D

What an awesome present a big, mac envelope would be :eek (If you don't get it, though, I hope you won't stop trying... from what I know, I think you're both AwEsOmE candidates :b !!)

md

Dear fellow 'waiters',

I hear ya! I suppose I'm not making it any easier for myself by replaying the whole thing over and over in my mind (oh the horror of it all!).

To further my futile post-analysis, I was wondering, what do the Mac interviewers write down during the interview? Is it your responses, their general impression of you, a list of good and bad things you said/did i.e. poor eye contact, motivated, mature.... or a combination of the above? Also, what do they do when we leave? Do they write up a final report combining everyone's findings? Do they give a final score?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Guest jmh2005

All I can tell you was what someone told me in a casual conversation last year after my interview...the 3 interviewers independently (without discussion) evaluate the candidate...(thereby eliminating one interviewer potentially biasing another)...only after all 3 evaluations are in, do they discuss what they thought of the interviewees suitability.

Try not too stress too much, easier said then done, I know...enjoy the weather!! Take care :)

Guest cher1234

Great questions SoHo. I was also wondering what info is recorded during the interview. Unfortunatley, I think revealing too much would compromise the integrity of the process:\ .. and so, we speculate.

Thanks to jmh2005, for your insight. You are so helpful and informative!

And happy birthday in advance to MayFlower1 and mumfirst. I hope this year brings you the best present ever (a big fat envelope!).

Cheers.

C.

Guest mumfirst

Thanks for the early bday wishes folks. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETER!!! (for tomorrow) Hope all your wishes come true (although they might take a few weeks to make themselves known! ;) )

Hey macdreams - you are right, a letter from Mac would be an awesome present but I think it might be a little bit more for Mayflower - it would be a true miracle!! (he didn't apply there) Perhaps tomorrow - May 1st - the Ottawa adcom is meeting and Mayflower's file will be moved from the "under review" pile into the accepted pile!!! :rollin

Archived