Premed 101 Forums

Anyone help me out with two quick questions?

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question - for any residents in alberta, do you know what your after-tax salary is bi-weekly for PGY-2? 

In addition, how long do tax credits generally run for...someone said PGY-1 to PGY-2 and then it stops in PGY-3, but I'm not too sure. 

I'm just trying to budget my rent for next year. I'm worried/not sure if my tax credits will run out during PGY-1. 

Thanks y'all 

30 minutes ago, distressedpremed said:

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question - for any residents in alberta, do you know what your after-tax salary is bi-weekly for PGY-2? 

In addition, how long do tax credits generally run for...someone said PGY-1 to PGY-2 and then it stops in PGY-3, but I'm not too sure. 

I'm just trying to budget my rent for next year. I'm worried/not sure if my tax credits will run out during PGY-1. 

Thanks y'all 

https://cl.ly/420k02201f0L

Looks like gross PGY-2 salary in Alberta is about $61,066. After-tax is about $48,600 (blended fed-alberta tax rate is about 20.5% in that tax bracket).

$48,600/26 bi-weekly pay periods = $1,869. 

It seems that the pay is under negotiation in Alberta since the contract period has lapsed. I guess this establishes a floor for you as it will likely go up.

I've obviously done too much school...I still had tuition credits in for pgy2-3 year and anticipating some still for pgy3-4.

You ought to be good for 1800 on average. I ran anywhere from 1650 to 1950 biweekly plus the weeks with call stipends that were more.

You can "increase" your biweekly pay by increasing the baseline untaxed income by resubmitting your TD1 and TD1 AB with educational amounts included.

I'd speak with your accountant about what that amount amounts to exactly.

5 hours ago, LostLamb said:

I've obviously done too much school...I still had tuition credits in for pgy2-3 year and anticipating some still for pgy3-4.

You ought to be good for 1800 on average. I ran anywhere from 1650 to 1950 biweekly plus the weeks with call stipends that were more.

You can "increase" your biweekly pay by increasing the baseline untaxed income by resubmitting your TD1 and TD1 AB with educational amounts included.

I'd speak with your accountant about what that amount amounts to exactly.

Hopefully this $1800 or so (including call stipends) is after AHS robs me of my monthly parking fee? 

Yea that's what I'm doing now - I'm using the TD1 with my credits for my PGY-1 year, hopefully won't run out before the start of PGY-3. Probably didn't do as much school as you, just a bachelors and med. 

Archived