Premed 101 Forums

16 minutes ago, Happyness said:

So I've been thinking about how I'm gonna pay for school and here's my plan. 

1. I already saved enough for 1 year of housing 

2. OSAP grants should pay my entire tuition 

3. OSAP loans should pay for my other year of rent

Now my question is how do I get a student LOC without having any credit history and any cosigners? Sadly the only person in Canada that can possibly cosign for me makes less than $30,000 and has a bad credit history. I have family in France who would be willing to cosign for me but I don't know if the banks want someone with Canadian credit history or not. 

The banks I'm looking into are

RBC CIBC and Scotia Bank 

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  

I think if you're attending a Canadian PT school, you wouldn't be required to have a co-signer when you're negotiating your LOC. 

I found Scotia to be super helpful - maybe worth it to give the rep a call http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/common/pdf/personal_banking/Scotiabank_SPSP_representative_English.pdf 

This is all from my personal experience but, I was with RBC. With a professional program acceptance letter (PT) I was offered 65 thousand student LOC with no previous history. OSAP also gave me grant for tuition that was around ($9200). I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If you get into PT or OT in Ontario most people Ive talked to also had no issue getting OSAP or a student LOC like myself. Good luck with applications! 

Unless your family in France has liquid investments in Canadian equities that they are willing to put up as collateral to guarantee payment of your loan, I doubt they would be willing to accept a guarantor in France whom they would have to chase abroad if necessary to enforce payment in case of your default. It would not be worth the risk for a Canadian bank. Perhaps you can obtain a small loan on your own signature based upon your Plan to finance your education.  

EDIT: You have 2 great answers that hit the nail on the head. :P

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any information about if/how Nova Scotia provides grants for students in the physiotherapy programs?

Or any Newfoundland students who went to PT out of province, my student loans still go through Newfoundland even though I go to Dal, does NL provide any grants to help cover PT tuition?

Archived