Premed 101 Forums

Question about who can be your academic reference

I have a quick question about academic references when applying to PT programs in Canada. I am planning to apply this coming fall, and I want to make the PI that I am working for as a research assistant one of my academic references. We do a lot of academic work in terms of research, where I developed a lot of literature review and systematic review skills which is rigorous academic work, but I have NOT taken any courses from my PI because he teaches at a graduate level only. To get into his lab, I also needed to have a pretty good standing academically to be considered, so he does know how I am doing at school. Would this person be considered a valid academic reference even if I have not taken a university course from them?

On 2018-03-11 at 9:22 PM, OThopeful2017 said:

I suggest you email the PT schools individually and find out. I was in a similar dilemma when I applied to OT last year and UofT told me one thing while Queens told me another.

Do you remember what UofT told you? I know some people who were like me and were able to use their supervisor as their reference for UBC, but i wasn't sure how Ontario schools worked.

20 hours ago, Probablypt said:

Do you remember what UofT told you? I know some people who were like me and were able to use their supervisor as their reference for UBC, but i wasn't sure how Ontario schools worked.

I can't remember if they said my research supervisor was fine as an academic reference or not. Again, it'd be better hearing it directly from them.

Archived