Premed 101 Forums

Disadvantages to a 3 year bachelor of science degree

Is there any disadvantage to doing a 3 year degree (bachelor of science)?

I know I won’t be eligible for gpa weighting at some schools but I think I would be okay with that (I have a 4.0 right now which hopefully won’t go down too much by 3rd year)

I’m not too interested in research or applying to grad schools either.

I’m hoping to graduate early in order to add to my EC’s, get more work and volunteer experiences, and not have to worry about balancing school and med applications when I apply after I graduate…

However, I am worried that schools look favourably upon 4 year degrees as opposed to 3 year degrees. I’m reading all sorts of conflicting opinions regarding this and I don’t want to risk possibly putting myself at a disadvantage, but at the same time, I wonder whether schools actually look all that closely at what undergrad degree you have.

Some schools don't consider 3-year degrees. Off of the top of my head, at least Western and NOSM require 4-year degrees to apply. You should look up all of the schools you wish to apply to and see if you meet their requirements.

Some people graduate with a 4-year degree in 3 years by overloading and taking summer courses - don't recommend this though, have to be cautious

7 hours ago, AlynHoffman said:

Is there any disadvantage to doing a 3 year degree (bachelor of science)?

I know I won’t be eligible for gpa weighting at some schools but I think I would be okay with that (I have a 4.0 right now which hopefully won’t go down too much by 3rd year)

I’m not too interested in research or applying to grad schools either.

I’m hoping to graduate early in order to add to my EC’s, get more work and volunteer experiences, and not have to worry about balancing school and med applications when I apply after I graduate…

However, I am worried that schools look favourably upon 4 year degrees as opposed to 3 year degrees. I’m reading all sorts of conflicting opinions regarding this and I don’t want to risk possibly putting myself at a disadvantage, but at the same time, I wonder whether schools actually look all that closely at what undergrad degree you have.

The only difference between doing a 3 yr vs 4 year is you don't get the weighting formulas and you can't apply to Western. Otherwise you will be fine. It does mean it is a bit harder to get into medical school and you need essentially a spotless GPA record. 

I have a 4.0 and a 525 MCAT but I only got 1 interview this cycle. Im in the 3rd year of a 4 year degree. People with similar if not lower stats got 0 or 1 interview in 3rd year and are drowning in interviews in 4th year. The system is intrinsicially biased against 3rd years.

3 minutes ago, healthscireject said:

I have a 4.0 and a 525 MCAT but I only got 1 interview this cycle. Im in the 3rd year of a 4 year degree. People with similar if not lower stats got 0 or 1 interview in 3rd year and are drowning in interviews in 4th year. The system is intrinsicially biased against 3rd years.

It sucks, but at the very least you get to apply in 4th year and you won't be worse for wear. In the US it is common practice to take a year off before entering medical school so we do things fast here. 

On 3/27/2018 at 9:24 PM, healthscireject said:

Yeh that's crazy, should be much busier for you next year if this one doesn't work out this year.

Archived