Premed 101 Forums

Does anyone have any experience navigating the course load discussions?

It says you need to have taken 10 courses in your last two years of undergrad (so 5 each term). 

My program would split courses into double so they could squeeze more classes into our degree (ie. FSN 706 would be two classes on two different subjects and we'd get two different marks). I did what most students did and did all my electives in my last year part time. So... i don't meet that course load requirement. 

They said they will allow for it if your program is structured differently, but it's a B. Des, so I feel like they won't be familiar with it. Anyone ever navigate this? Wondering if/who I should maybe sit down with to discuss whether I'm even able to apply...

I also graduated way back in 2013 if that matters and have an MA since then

I had to apply for a course load exception, and they accepted my exception. I emailed the admissions email and found them extremely helpful. 

If this was how your degree was structured you may be successful in getting the exception too. You could also potentially show that you had completed all other requirements, and they may accept that. I had 3 of my 4 years without a full course load, all because I simply couldn't afford my 5th class while also supporting myself. I gave a very detailed financial analysis that showed I didn't have the money without starving and I found them very understanding. I also finished my undergraduate in 2014 and have an MSc since then so parts of our situations are similar. 

My best advice is to call or email them. I had multiple questions throughout the process and they were super helpful! 

20 hours ago, AM22476 said:

I had to apply for a course load exception, and they accepted my exception. I emailed the admissions email and found them extremely helpful. 

If this was how your degree was structured you may be successful in getting the exception too. You could also potentially show that you had completed all other requirements, and they may accept that. I had 3 of my 4 years without a full course load, all because I simply couldn't afford my 5th class while also supporting myself. I gave a very detailed financial analysis that showed I didn't have the money without starving and I found them very understanding. I also finished my undergraduate in 2014 and have an MSc since then so parts of our situations are similar. 

My best advice is to call or email them. I had multiple questions throughout the process and they were super helpful! 

So you got in now? That's great to hear. 

Did you just contact the main phone number? I can't seem to find an email on the website (I imagine they don't want people emailing for every little question) or would you recommend dropping in? I'm in the Halifax area

Edit - found this email medicine.admissions[at]dal.ca   Is that who you suggest emailing? 

Thanks for your help!!

23 hours ago, AlexFox said:

So you got in now? That's great to hear. 

Did you just contact the main phone number? I can't seem to find an email on the website (I imagine they don't want people emailing for every little question) or would you recommend dropping in? I'm in the Halifax area

Edit - found this email medicine.admissions[at]dal.ca   Is that who you suggest emailing? 

Thanks for your help!!

Hi again! Yes, I did get in! They were really understanding about my course load exception because I had no way around it. You can't just conjure extra money haha. 

I did email the medicine admissions email you mentioned. I also called the medicine admissions number and they were very helpful in working with me to figure out how to submit my exception request and what documentation should accompany it. 

I've never actually dropped in myself - I try not to show up anywhere unannounced, but if you call ahead and ask if you can speak with somebody/have a meeting I really can't see them saying no! 

8 hours ago, AM22476 said:

Hi again! Yes, I did get in! They were really understanding about my course load exception because I had no way around it. You can't just conjure extra money haha. 

I did email the medicine admissions email you mentioned. I also called the medicine admissions number and they were very helpful in working with me to figure out how to submit my exception request and what documentation should accompany it. 

I've never actually dropped in myself - I try not to show up anywhere unannounced, but if you call ahead and ask if you can speak with somebody/have a meeting I really can't see them saying no! 

amazing. Thanks so much for your help! I will definitely email them!

Archived