Premed 101 Forums

Healthy ways to relax/destress

Guest not rex morgan

Guest not rex morgan

Hello. Just wanted to start a new topic, as everyone is rather concerned with destressing right now. How does everyone blow off steam? I'm looking for non-harmful, non-aggressive ways to calm yourself down. Yoga? Feng shui? Running? I personally turn on the music really loud and sing reallllllllly loud. I did that at one in the morning during December exams guilt-free as loud lady upstairs was constantly waking me up at 6 am. As this was not an attempt to get back at her, and strictly a way of justifying my bad apartment etiquette, this method qualifies as a healthy way to destress.

Guest Biochem10

I went for a nice 2 hour bike ride today. I find biking is quite relaxing and you can take in the sights as you do it. It's also something that's fun with or without friends. I personally haven't attended Yoga classes, but I find stretching relaxing. Going for a swim can also be nice (although some of those public pools are overheated) and it's low impact if you have knee problems. The best way to relax: VACATIONS...I'll be leaving for mine on May 26!!!! ;)

Guest MayFlower1

Great thread not rex morgan...

Today, I took the kids on a long bike ride (I bladed) down to the tulip festival...we saw a guy playing a really cool instrument called a cimbalin (spelling?). It looks kinda like one of those horizontal harps that you play with a pick (sorry, can't remember the name)...but it's strung similar to a piano. The player hits the strings with things that look like piano hammers...anyway, the sound was really cool...a great distraction and stress reliever for half a day.

I also like to play loud music...since I play guitar...this is easy...I just crank up the ol' amp...hammer away at the guitar...and literally shake up the house :eek Luckily, I live in a detached home...one of my neighbours came over the other day (he's 75 years old, loves music...one of my best friends) and said he could hear the music from his house...he had two martinis in hand...hmmm...another great and mostly harmless stress reliever!

Peter

Guest IRNBRUD

Today I went on a 13km hike through one of the beautiful conservation areas in Dundas. It was awesome!! The trees are starting to get leaves, the birds are singing and we were lucky enough to spot quite a few dazzling Trilliums!

Being out in the woods always makes me feel fabulous. Something about all that fresh air and simple beauty.....okay okay so the best part WAS sloshing my way through the muddy parts.....WHO CARES!!!!! :rollin :rollin :rollin

Have FUN!

IB

Guest mying

I walk my dog. We're lucky enough to live on the edge of the river and there's a lovely bit of as-natural-as-it-gets-in-the-city forest. We know how to meet our usual suspects -- there's the rabbit that lives right where we turn around, the dozen or so turtles that live under a half-submerged tree, the groundhog that lives near the bike path, the goose nest at the halfway point, and the red-winged blackbird nest near the Richmond St. bridge. And trilliums too!

The only downside is, if I'm not vigilant, I have to come home with a wet dog. She can't resist that water! I'm a bit leary about that since they find all kinds of... unpleasant... things in this river...

Guest UWOMED2005

I think dogs call them "gifts." Why is it that us humans don't see such things that way? :)

Me, I used to play a lot of squash to relax. Then I tore my rotator cuff. . . one of the worst injuries to rehabilitate when you're budget's run out of room for physiotherapy.

Guest grandmellon

hmmm... I would usually go mountain biking but I forgot my bike seat at school and it really hurts a lot to bike without a seat ;) . Another downside here in toronto is that the down valley trails are fulll of dirty sewage... I agree with peter that there's nothing like getting mudddy but sewage is a totally different story... not to mention the infections obtained while doing so. Women like mud facials.. men like mud everything.. very therapeutic.

Jogging and running is good too!

my 2 cents

Guest shelleyrn

Hmmm....If I had to choose, it would have to be mud over KY any day grandmellon...hahaha KY is something I actually use in my job...Okay, now, now everyone...I work as a Public Health Nurse in Communicable Disease..translated: STD's...lot's of condom demos on the old woody (seriously...wooden penis....large groups of people....crazy) I do love my job...it's just the icky KY on your hands after...sheesh

my de-stressing is usually done in the company of a 11.5 yr old golden retriever....we do a lot walking...and general lazing about on the couch reading good books...(she really loves a good mystery)

Also, I try and embrace my creative side....painting, stained glass, and woodworking....I am building a gazebo this summer in my backyard with some friends. Mosquitoes are quite a nuisance here in Wpg, and with West Nile creeping its way into our province, it will be a nice little primary prevention strategy..;) .....

I'm sending positive vibes to everyone.....not too much longer (but doesn't it feel like forever!!!)...Cheers, Shelley

Guest MayFlower1

hey shelleyrn,

wow...sounds like we have a coupla things in common...I also walk my two labs...Willie (black) and Drake (yellow) for relaxation.

I'm also a stained glass guy...I worked for a summer (about 20 years ago) at my ex-brother-in-law's studio in Edmonton...we were primarily restoring church windows. I learned to hand-bevel glass...quite an art, I'll tell you...I broke lots of pieces along the learning path...I also learned gold leafing...we did a fair bit of multi-layer sandblasting as well...really fun. I haven't done a stained glass window for about 5 years...I should get out the ol' diamond grinder and my oil-cutter again. :D My absolute favorite (because of the challenge) was inside cuts...the harder the better...for whatever reason...I was really good at it.

Cheers,

Peter

Guest jmh2005

I have to agree, dogs are a great de-stressor...just for hanging out, walking and for playing...with my 3.5 year old minature daschund 'Thor' is often found on my lap while I do my reading...a great way to read...One night I actually 'dressed' Thor in my stethoscope and Mac Meds sweatshirt (well couldn't get the shirt on him, so I put it beside him...he's on our website (good for a laugh!)

www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdcla...esmain.htm (go to class kids and pets)

I'm also a fan of my gym...GoodLife...Body Pump classes are the best for getting rid of all that medical school stress along with my 45 minute workouts on the elipse!!

Guest UWOMED2005

Golden retrievers all the way. Mine's 16. That's not a typo.

Goldens vs. Border Collies. . . that's an argument I had on a number of occasions with my (ex)-gf.

Guest UOMeds05

thanks for the pics... i agree, pets are a huge stress reliever.

jmh2005, from your site, is "Dr. Cowboy" a boston terrier? i think they are one of the coolest dogs!

Guest shelleyrn

UWOmed2005.........WOW!! 16! Whew...I worry about that age-thing with my old gal (Kiri)....she's gettin' a bit arthritic in the hind quarters, so...walking helps...they are truly amazing!

Mayflower: your experience in the stained glass department sounds a bit more extensive than mine! It IS amazing --I do love glass! I am currently doing a table in stained glass mosaic (I do that in tile as well)....keeps me out of trouble! Yes...inside cuts all the way!

Border collies vs. Goldens?: Well, we just lost our border x lab at Christmas...so, I must say that I am very partial to both breeds...each one has there own wonderful qualities...although my golden is Einstein of relaxation techniques (bellly up on the couch)

Guest UWOMED2005

Bahini (my dog's name, long story*) has a touch of arthritis, but other than that is in pretty good shape. Our neighbour still walks her about 5 km every day - he used take both our dogs but their dog died 7 years ago at 9 years of age. I don't understand why everyone keeps saying she's old, she is only 16 and I'm already 25. Should I be worried about my own health? Or is there something I'm missing? ;)

The unfortunate thing is Bahini is really the family dog so is still in Ottawa. I can't really have a dog of my own. . . severe allergies. I'm pretty ticked about that and have been contemplating going for the allergy shots.

* We got our dog Bahini from the CNIB after she failed the course for chasing squirrels. She was actually born in Britain, and the Colonel who bred her had served in India. I think Bahini means "little sister" in one of the Indian dalects, but I'm not sure which one.

Guest jmh2005

UOMeds2005,

I'm not sure if that Cowboy is a Boston Terrier, actually, I don't know who's dog it is...I'll find out though!

Guest mumfirst

Gotta put in my two cents - retrievers are my favourite (especially the goldens). There is something about them always looking like a puppy that gets to me. My Jennie is going to be 9 this year and still acts like she's a puppy. shelleyrn - perhaps the belly up, feet straight in the air, relaxing on the couch (with the lips dropped back to reveal the teeth) is an inbred character of the breed - I swear it's Jennie's favourite position too. :)

The border collies are a close second - they are so amazingly bright but I think they can be a bit obsessive if they aren't kept in constant work. I had a friend who had three of them and even though they lived on a farm and did their share of running everyday they still maintained a bedtime routine - running/jumping a circuit of the couch/loveseat/chair - it was a sight to see!

By the way Mayflower, I am glad that you clarified the couple of things you have in common with shelleyrn - my mind was still on what she does for a living (or at least one of her "tasks"):o - glad to hear that it is the stained glass hobby you meant!!! ;)

Guest shelleyrn

tasks you say, mumfirst? The KY got to ya huh? haha:evil ....yes, fun, fun, fun...I'm sure Mayflower didn't come clean on ALL his hobbies...;)

I think you described the true golden position! They are extremely puppyish and with that comes an innate goofiness....sweet.....

Well...I must say this thread has taken a more positive note...cheers to our wild beasts!....g'nite...Shelley

Guest MayFlower1

mumfirst,

There is something about them always looking like a puppy that gets to me. My Jennie is going to be 9 this year and still acts like she's a puppy.

Interesting observation. You'd love my labs...they are a Canadian Breed...not like the U.S. labs...their head is so thick (brain too :D ) people often, and I mean often, ask if they are mixed with rotweiller (sp?). It sometimes bugs me, I must admit, as I spent good money ensuring they were champ material...but they do have really beautiful heads.

...perhaps the belly up, feet straight in the air, relaxing on the couch (with the lips dropped back to reveal the teeth) is an inbred character of the breed - I swear it's Jennie's favourite position too.

I actually think it's a male thing...I often lie like that :eek Actually, it's too funny...both of my labs do this...I thought they were showing off their "equipment" :P

By the way Mayflower, I am glad that you clarified the couple of things you have in common with shelleyrn - my mind was still on what she does for a living (or at least one of her "tasks") - glad to hear that it is the stained glass hobby you meant!!!

I have nothing to say about this except, I am also relieved that it is the stained glass hobbie that I have in common with shelleyrn!

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

shelleyrn,

tasks you say, mumfirst? The KY got to ya huh? haha ....yes, fun, fun, fun...I'm sure Mayflower didn't come clean on ALL his hobbies...

My hands ARE clean...so to speak! :eek All of my hobbies are completely wholesome ;)

Peter

Guest grandmellon

peter.... peter... peter... ky jelly to help with a missing bicycle seat??? I never would have thought of that one... I sincerely hope that you weren't serious!!!

I found an interesting page on ky jelly if anyone's interested ;)www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u...or/ky.html

as you can see, people at Waterloo have way too much time on their hands!! :rollin

Guest MayFlower1

ha ha ha...I haven't laughed so hard in a long while...I really like the "top ten uses for KY" which read:

"It tastes much better than vasoline"

Ha ha...ewwwwwwwwwwwwww....

Maybe folks in waterloo have more than too much time on their hands ;)

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

I hope no premed students still in High School, and therefore under 18, are reading this message. We might have some innocents reading these posts! :lol

Archived