Premed 101 Forums

Nova Scotia to test foreign-trained family doctors in 2019

This is a confusing article. Are they  allowing in those with fully completed, but unrecognized FM training OR...are they implying they will let those in without ANY FM training? Because the point of "This also means Nova Scotians who trained in several medical schools abroad will have the option to try to return home." adds ALOT of confusion. If those originally nova scotians are training in the typical CSA jurisdictions...they'd have FM training that was portable. 

Is my understanding that any fully licensed GP from UK, Ireland, USA, Australia, can already come over without re-doing residency wrong? Why not recruit more heavily from those jurisdictions where there is already equivalency laid out by the CCFP?    Or is recruitment of these individuals just too difficult, for the same usual reasons it is to get people to go rurally. This sounds like a potential classic situation of "lets get some of those immigrant workers, who will accept lower pay and help us put downward pressure on what we can pay those already in the system".   Not that I am inherently against it, if they pass the screening and deem fit to provide care, but i would want to make sure that their licenses are restricted to those areas of NS...because otherwise then it becomes a backdoor to jump province to Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. 

On 4/7/2018 at 0:00 PM, JohnGrisham said:

This is a confusing article. Are they  allowing in those with fully completed, but unrecognized FM training OR...are they implying they will let those in without ANY FM training? Because the point of "This also means Nova Scotians who trained in several medical schools abroad will have the option to try to return home." adds ALOT of confusion. If those originally nova scotians are training in the typical CSA jurisdictions...they'd have FM training that was portable. 

Is my understanding that any fully licensed GP from UK, Ireland, USA, Australia, can already come over without re-doing residency wrong? Why not recruit more heavily from those jurisdictions where there is already equivalency laid out by the CCFP?    Or is recruitment of these individuals just too difficult, for the same usual reasons it is to get people to go rurally. This sounds like a potential classic situation of "lets get some of those immigrant workers, who will accept lower pay and help us put downward pressure on what we can pay those already in the system".   Not that I am inherently against it, if they pass the screening and deem fit to provide care, but i would want to make sure that their licenses are restricted to those areas of NS...because otherwise then it becomes a backdoor to jump province to Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. 

I thought I read an earlier article that got into more detail regarding the eligibility of IMGs but can't remember if it was for doctors with FM training. 

The return of service contract for Nova Scotia and the low retention rate makes me think that they will get their license at the end of the program and then tend to go elsewhere in Canada 

I would definitely love to live in Nova Scotia and potentially practice there as well. But I think a lot of individuals not from there (and from other posts in the forum) say that the tax rate for physicians/dentists are higher than the rest of canada, not to mention a very high sales tax, that is often a big deterrent from people migrating there to practice. However, I think for myself, if there was a job opening for my specialty at the end of my training I'm happy to move almost anywhere in canada. 

Archived