Premed 101 Forums

Mad at MAC

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Hey MAN! Take it easy. You have obviously taken three seconds to peruse this thread and chosen to make your judgement about me. There are extenuating circumstances as to why I am questioning tt so much. SO CHILL!

I am 26 at the moment. Should I choose to return to school and do another degree or whatever I will then be 29. Is that satisfactory to you?

I believe I have already outlined my concerns about age. There are several threads besides this one in which other people express concern that being older ups the ante for being admitted. I respect the older applicant what older applicants bring to the process. I also understand the statistics. Not every problem is solved by looking only at the numbers.

I have only just begun my pursuit of medicine. So kill me for having been a regular old teenager who maybe made some wrong choices in university and decided later that I wanted to work in another career. Sure I did time "bumming" around EUROPE figuring that out. That is the whole reason why I am carefully trying to organize my next step. I am focused. Should I execute my current plan B and be rejected again, I will reevaluate my position then.

I hope I have addressed most of your questions. Perhaps you have some advice to me with regards to getting in to some biology and chemistry courses this fall? Congratulations on your acceptance. I do think it is unfair that you should all of a sudden appear on this board and make the sort of comments about me that you have. One month ago would you have felt so bold as to do that?

Sydney, thanks for the tips on the SW stuff. My problem lies in the fact that I have no employed experience as a social worker. These positions tend to be looking for someone with 3-5 years experience in the specific field. Although,I guess that maybe in this case applying "couldn't hurt"! :D

Melissa

Guest ItsmeMelissa

The problem with this board is that if you really want input and advice you have to open yourself up. Unfortunately this also makes one vulnerable to unwanted comments. The reason I keep doing it is that there are some really great people posting on this board, people that I want to learn from.

MedwantoB, I hope you are not offended by my age comment. I seriously have followed your posts here and elsewhere and respect you fully. These are my own insecurities I speak about. Your confidence to push on is very admirable and I do learn from your example and TSKINNERS see another forum on that one!

I will openly admit that yesterdays postings hit a really, really tender spot for me. A lot of my defensive tactics and maybe not very tactful posts stem from that. I really hope that you people out there will continue to offer your thoughts and experiences to me.

I'm going to go out to the friendship festival today. Maybe go for a hike...I hope you all have a great day.

Sydney, are you the one who has the horrendous commute to Hamilton everyday? If not, maybe we could meet up for a coffee and strategy session sometime. Expecially if you get off that list come July 4th! Kidding. Email me if you would like to. My email is posted at the start of this thread.

Anyway, enough said. See ya

Melissa

Trust me, they won't hold it against you. They have accepted alot more "older" people this round than in the past.

Hey Melissa, I was just wondering where all of the other stuff came from? ie. the taunting regarding you proving your not selfish or a partygirl. I never said any of those things and neither did any comments regarding your performance so I'm not sure where your getting that from.

Melissa is your family not from Hamilton, are you there just to take those science courses? If you are I feel really bad for you since things didn't work out (so far) with the courses. You could go back home (if your from another place) and take the courses at another University, because Mac won't care where you have picked up the courses from.

Oh yeah if you go to the friendship festival, beware of pocketpickers, I got a bag swapped the last time I was there and my friend got their sunglasses and wallet scooped the year before.

For hiking, go to Sulfur springs (ask someone at the festival how to get there) Its got beautiful trails in Ancaster and I'm sure you will like it :)

Guest ItsmeMelissa

As I said earlier, I did not see your original "rejection" email. I don't really want to play he said she said on the board here. I would really like to ask you a couple questions in private. Please email me. If you are concerned about your identity, make one up and open a hotmail acct or something. My background in tracking people through a computer is about as strong as my background in science. I promise to respect your anonymity. I really think you owe me the chance to discuss this in private.

Thanks for the pickpocketing tip. Although, my pockets tend to be pretty empty these days...

Melissa

If you really want to get into meds, spend the summer in the library studying for the MCAT. You dont need all these courses to do well... take a prep course or just sit in a library for hours on end and learn the shiznit.

This thing about age.. drop it. Every medical website, personnel or official, knows it is ILLEGAL to discriminate against age. In fact, interview committees are not allowed to ask your age, nor do they have it in front of them. If they do, it is a strict violation of one of the articles in canadian law. I can send the link if you need proof.

I agree with the statement earlier.... if you want it, then work for it. There really are no excuses. If you remember, the average age for students at mac is about 26-27. THAT IS AVERAGE and not absolute, meaning there are people above and below. Think of it this way, all of the professionals masters or PhD students are all your age anyways (or older).

Why would you chose to take these science courses for another degree anyways? It is not required by medical schools, and not for the MCAT. Think about it before jumping in to this (probably not worth while) path.

best of luck, and keep that chin up

The V Dot

Guest Macinbound

Just kidding about the title, but check the websites of med schools many do have science requirements even if not for the MCAT.

Infact I'll have look right now and post the requirements

Guest ItsmeMelissa

V,

I have taken everyone's points about age agree to let that one go for now!

I am looking to take the science courses in order to:

a) Prepare for the MCAT. Maybe intro bio and chem won't help but I suspect the that Organic chem and Biochem (if i can get in to that class) courses I want to take will. The intro courses are prereq's for those.

B) To satisfy the prerequisits to apply to other schools in Ontario besides MAC. Many require 1 year of Bio, Chem and Organic chem or Biochem as well as 1 other science. Some have suggested distance education, but I am not sure that this would provide me with the labs that are required by Western for sure and I'm not sure about other schools.

I agree that taking a BSc may not be the right thing to do. Hence my request to take the course as a "continuing student". Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working. I have outlined some of my concerns about taking another degree already (ie having to complete 2 years of it before I reapply, sacrificing a pretty decent GPA, etc).

Let me remind some people out there that "working hard" doesn't necessarily mean having a science background. I worked my butt off in University to get the grades that I did. I may also remind you that there are few schools (if any?) that actually REQUIRE a science degree. I don't think that my travelling makes me lazy or not willing to work to get in to med school. Let's remember what this thread is about. I am trying another plan of attack and having some difficulty!

I don't want to seem like I am shooting everyone's suggestions down. It isn't that. It is that I have already considered many of these plans myself and come to the conclusions that I have mentioned. That is why I have opened this up for some input. So...please keep it coming!

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Melissa

Guest ItsmeMelissa

To Everyone who has been following this thread,

There is a situation that has taken place on this thread that I feel the need to address, and hopefully put to rest. So for the record:

At this point I have NO way of knowing if tt is legit or not. After a lot of thought I have decided that even if tt does have "inside information" about me, it would be unethical and unfair for me to accept this sort of feedback. In a moment of anger and poor judgement I asked this person to contact me personally to discuss the incident that took place in May. I see now that this was indeed a mistake. I feel that to pursue this any further would cause too much damage to my conscience and to my integrity. Therefore, I will disregard any further postings from tt. For the record, I don't at this point have any evidence that I feel I should draw to the attention of McMaster. SHOULD I RECEIVE ANY FURTHER CORRESPONDENCE FROM tt I WILL BE FORCED TO CONTACT THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE AT MCMASTER AND AT LEAST MAKE THEM AWARE OF THE SITUATION.

The anonymous nature of the Internet makes it easy for people to take advantage of silly Willies like me who perhaps reveal too much about themselves. Well, I can't do much to change that. I can however, sort through the advice I get here and choose what to believe and what to disregard. There are a lot of really cool people here who just want to share their knowledge and experience. This is reason enough for me to continue to take part in the exchange.

That's me for the record,

Melissa

Guest gucio93

It seems that Melissa has, to some degree, resolved this debate, thus I feel that continuation of this thread is unwarranted.

Archived