Premed 101 Forums

Working for Dr. Bernstein's Diet Clinic - is this sketchy?

FM grad who's finishing a sports med fellowship, and I have an interest in nutrition and exercise as medicine.

Looking at offers and wondering if has anyone has experience working at Dr. Bernstein's Diet Clinic?  In my research so far, I've found Dr. Bernstein has had a couple of sketchy conflicts with other physicians and has been accused of potentially misleading advertisements, but I haven't seen/heard much from any physicians who have worked there.  I'd like to think my sports med background and interests would work well, but I also am not willing to practice non-evidence based medicine.  The typical schedule is working one day a week, which works with my intention to practice sports medicine and family medicine.

Any feedback would be appreciated, especially those who have worked there or are familiar with their practice.  

It’s an extremely low calorie diet, and most of the people who go through with the programon regain the weight.  Since we know yo-yo dieting is more harmful than being overweight, it appears quite sketchy to me.  I’ve seen a number of clients who went to a Dr. Bernstein clinic, lost weight, but then regained it all plus extra weight.  So it seems totally sketchy to me.

9 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

If you want to work there, go ahead. No need to worry about other people think, as long as you - yourself conduct yourself in a manner that is fitting with your personal beliefs and ideals. 

Agree with this.  I would leave though if I found myself pressured to do things I found unethical.  

Thanks for the comments. They have a few days of training and a very strict contract so I'd be tied in for a while, and I'd rather know what the culture is like before signing on - it may be hard to leave once I do.

I guess my question is a bit deeper than just "is this sketchy?" as I already share the same concerns as some of you have mentioned above.  I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually worked there - are they very strict with how you counsel patients?  I wasn't sure how far we are allowed to advise/caution patients about the diet itself and how to incorporate aspects of it moving forward once they aren't "on a diet" anymore.  If I'm allowed to practice in a safe way within their diet plan, and counsel patients about what to expect moving beyond their time at Bernstein, I think this would be reassuring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 6:59 AM, NutritionRunner said:

I’ve seen a number of clients who went to a Dr. Bernstein clinic, lost weight, but then regained it all plus extra weight.  So it seems totally sketchy to me.

So they lost weight on the program (the intention)  but because they could not/would not continue with it they gained weight and it's Bernstein's fault and he is sketchy because of it

7 hours ago, John Loftis said:

So they lost weight on the program (the intention)  but because they could not/would not continue with it they gained weight and it's Bernstein's fault and he is sketchy because of it

You clearly don’t understand the metabolic changes that occur when on a very low calorie diet.  It is very well established that it is neither possible nor healthy to remain on a very low calorie diet for an extended period of time, and that once calories return to normal, healthy levels, weight gain is going to occur.

9 hours ago, John Loftis said:

1 hour ago, NutritionRunner said:

You clearly don’t understand the metabolic changes that occur when on a very low calorie diet.  It is very well established that it is neither possible nor healthy to remain on a very low calorie diet for an extended period of time, and that once calories return to normal, healthy levels, weight gain is going to occur.

its okay. NR is super condescending. god forbid that your medical education didn't make you an expert in nutrition. 

Agreed.  I'm pretty sure Bernstein just tells you "reduce you calories", giving you various strategies to do so, which is advice most overweight people should be given.  I don't see how that part is ethically compromising at all (especially if its combined with suggestions to exercise).  

If there is an ethical issue, it is more likely around them trying to get you to sell the patient more stuff.  

2 hours ago, NutritionRunner said:

You clearly don’t understand the metabolic changes that occur when on a very low calorie diet. 

If you think you have a complete understanding you are out to lunch. No one does. We read a few books or a few studies or do some research and pretend we know what's going on. The more knowledge you have the more you will realize what little we know about nutrition. Most of the garbage research out there is published by industry.

Archived