Premed 101 Forums

waiting

Guest sizzlechest

yup, i can't believe that most other school outside of ontario have starting offerring admissions and ontario is still waiting for the may31st deadline!

Guest Ian Wong

:)

It's a secret ploy by the outside med schools to steal as many of the top Ontario applicants as they can. :) Seriously though, I feel for you. At least this way however, you aren't running out to the mailbox every day like I was. You can just relax and start stressing when it gets closer to May 31 (yeah, whatever, you've probably got an alarm set for when your mailman arrives...)

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest gucio93

Easy to say it's only 35 days until D-Day when it really feels like 35 years. I honestly thought I wouldn't really think about this until a couple of weeks before May 31, meanwhile I'm obsessing since about a week after my interview. Good luck to all of you out there who are in the same boat.

Guest sizzlechest

What we really need is for the gov't to open up a whole whack of new spots in Ontario... That would do wonders for our chances of admission ie, more people accepted, more movement on the wait lists, etc.

Guest Andrew

I've been obsessing since I left the interview on the 25th of March. I've psych-analyzed every possible detail of the whole interview. Having a psychology background, I guess that's what I do best. I think for now we all just need to accept that it's out of our hands, and in the hands of fate!!! Let's hope we will all be members of the class of 2004!!!! Good luck to everyone!!!!

Guest Andrew

Does anyone know if Mac requires final transcripts if this is not your third year of university? I've just finished my undergraduate degree, and I'm wondering if I need to send my final transcipts. I've heard from other people that it's not neccessary... does anyone know,

thanks

andrew

Guest Random

If you have finished your undergraduate degree and all of your marks are present on the transcript (it should also say degree conferred on your transcript) that you initially submitted to OMSAS, then you are fine.

Unless there is new information on coursework you are currently completing, you do not need to send in another transcript.

I'm in the same boat.

Hope this helps.

Guest Carolyn

One thing I didn't realize until last year was that they mailed the packages on May 31st - therefore don't expect the package that day specifically.

That said, I called Mac when I found out from a friend who had had the guts to call early on the 31st, that if you call, they'll let you know as of May 31st...

It is an agonizing month, I know... Last year, I had May 30th off from work so I went to the park with a friend -> we had a rule that she wasn't allowed to mention the whole med school affair. While there, a bird pooped on me - she flipped out -apparently getting pooped on by a bird is good luck... fortunately it was for me... So get out there - enjoy this amazing weather and hang out where you can get pooped on!

Best of luck and I look forward to meeting some/all of you at the end of August!

Carolyn

Guest sizzlechest

Carolyn, last year you were fortunate that the Mac admissions office was run by Helen Otrasina who was very nice about telling applicants their results over the phone. This year, the new admin person is totally unwilling to let people know over the phone as I found out while waiting for an interview invite. As a result, I think I'm going to request picking up my letter in person on the 31st. Would you forsee any problem with this?

Guest Andrew

Carolyn is totally right! Although it may seem easier said then done, we must not get caught up in the agony of waiting for the package to arrive in the mail!!! My sister is a Mac grad, and she was also able to call in and check to see if she was admitted to the program. However, a word of warning. When she first called, they initially told her that she was not on the list (imagine how upsetting that would be), which was a mistake. So... I think I may just sit in my apartment and wait for the mailman to come (hopefully bearing a big envelop, rather than a small one!!!) However, come may 31st, it might be hard to wait any longer.

I'm very excited about the opportunity to study at McMaster. I became even more excited when I met some of the first year students on my interview day. They were all really great, and I hope the administration really realizes how amazing they were to all the applicants.

Hope to see some of you in August!!!

Guest sizzlechest

Only 18 days until the bomb drops. Incidentally, can anyone confirm that Mac sends accepts/waitlists via courier or xpresspost?

Guest Andrew

I spoke briefly with the admission office today... decisions have been made and mail-out packages are being put together... we will soon know... the waiting is almost over!!! I hope everyone has a nice relaxing weekend, and try not to think about it too much!!!

Guest Chris

Well it's good to hear that they're on track. With an increase of 30-40 spots, it's clear that many more of us will be getting good news!

Guest gucio93

Someone who was accepted last year has told me that acceptances and are sent by courier, so some lucky people may hear something by June 1!

Guest Jane

Good luck to all of you hopefuls!!! I can only imagine the anticipation you are all feeling. I will be applying to McMaster this summer and will hopefully be feeling the same excitement this time next year. I would love to correspond with any of you that feel like you would like to share the wonders of 1st year medicine at Mac with a Mac wanna-be. Good luck to all, and please let me know if you are interested in sharing your experiences.

Thanks!!! (My fingers are crossed for you) :D

Guest hopeful120

has anyone heard from mac yet with an acceptance??? if so, how did it come (i.e. which mail service) and where do you live?? i'm going insane and have convinced myself that it must be bad news that i haven't heard. i live in london. help me out guys and best of luck to all of you.

Guest gucio93

I know how you feel! I have not heard anything either (I live in Windsor) and the weekend has not been very pleasant as I keep obsessing - Mac is my only option. However, to put you a bit at ease, when I called on May 31 the admissions lady has said that ALL the letters were sent by regular mail, so we should hear something by Monday or Tuesday. I read the delphi discussion board as well and there's not messages from anyone receiving anything at Mac yet. Good luck! Post if you hear anything.

Guest hopeful120

guico: thanks for putting my mind at ease. it's so hard knowing that the rejections are all

mixed up with the acceptances. it really leaves you with no idea!!!! i think i might lose my mind if i have to wait until tuesday. wishing you the best of luck and i will be sure to post either way.

Guest Andrew

Okay... It's Sunday evening... and we've made it through the weekend. I pray that McMaster's letter comes tomorrow, as with you Hopeful, mac is my only option and I'm dying with excitement here in Ottawa. I feel like a five year old staying up late on Christmas Eve. We will soon find out, and let's hope Canada Post busted their butts over the weekend delivering these packages. Good Luck to everyone!!! :eek

Archived