Premed 101 Forums

2017 Carms Match Results!

Interesting - I was also unaware.  I ranked Ottawa psych very highly in my year - though that being said, it was two years ago (good god).

not in that problem obviously so not fully aware of all the details - I know programs can change relatively rapidly so it could be newer stuff. 

whatever it is I know it will be addressed. I have been told you simply have to have a psych program to run a medical school to start with so that is a pretty powerful motivator. 

I am always more interested in the programs response to this sort of thing almost more than the actual eval. 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting results - despite all the talk about shifting relative competitiveness of things there are 4 remaining internal medicine spots and only a single surgery spot in the 2nd round. As usual a bit less than 1/2 of the spots are in Quebec. 

Even psychiatry seemed competitive this year with very few spots leftover... 

Also interesting to see that FM Ottawa and Calgary have - yet again - several spots leftover! Both are large centres/cities ... 

To all the unmatched applicants

I know things are tough right now, but many have come before you in a similar position and many will come after you. But the one thing you guys will have in common- is that it will all work out. Some of you may take a bit longer, some of you may choose an entirely different specialty or goto a city you never thought you wanted before, but it will be for the best

I know. I didn't match 2 years ago, but I persevered and matched to one of the most competitive family medicine programs in the country. So if I can do it, so can you. Feel free to reach out if any of you want to talk or need advice (my response may not be prompt given the hectic life of residency)

Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel

Hi

I am an IMG. unfortunately, I am not matched in R1. I am well trained in a surgical speciality outside Canada

My question to you please advise me which program I can choose in R2 with  highest chance to be matched

whatever the program whatever the city

I am really frustrated

Hi

I am an IMG. unfortunately, I am not matched in R1. I am well trained in a surgical speciality outside Canada

My question to you please advise me which program I can choose in R2 with  highest chance to be matched

whatever the program whatever the city

I am really frustrated

Probably one of the lab specialties. They always seem to have extra spots.

Honestly, I'd just apply as broadly as I could and hope for the best.

I politely disagree with Cain. I would apply for everything because as an IMG you don't have that many options. You can always try switching into FM later if you don't like it.

Also, it's worth noting that Medical Biochemistry also gives you the added bonus of a GIM license, you could do Medical Biochemistry 5 years and choose to be a general internist at the end.

Dont apply to path. Job market is shit. Family med is your best bet

unless you have some sort of particular desire for a field other than family medicine it would seem illogical to target something else - the vast number of remaining spots are in that area, and they are often in places other people may not want to work (eventually you can move away though regardless of the return on service arrangement). The other residency spots are longer as mentioned. 

It is hard to prepare a package that is good for two different things - particularly quickly. Best bet is to apply as widely as possible with the best possible application for family medicine. This again assumes that you have interest in that field - ie the next 30 years of your life won't be horrible to you because you are in that field and that you somehow cannot prepare for more than just one field in the next week.  

I politely disagree with Cain. I would apply for everything because as an IMG you don't have that many options. You can always try switching into FM later if you don't like it.

Also, it's worth noting that Medical Biochemistry also gives you the added bonus of a GIM license, you could do Medical Biochemistry 5 years and choose to be a general internist at the end.

with GIM moving to five years i dont know how thatll pan out for the med biochem people.

but if wel wants to apply to path knowing that there are great jobs available in new brunswick that make 125k post tax with 2 weeks vacation then go right ahead.

if wel is already a pathologist from wherever i dont know why hes bothering to do a residency here. plenty of hospitals will take on anyone who claims to be a pathologist.

with GIM moving to five years i dont know how thatll pan out for the med biochem people.

but if wel wants to apply to path knowing that there are great jobs available in new brunswick that make 125k post tax with 2 weeks vacation then go right ahead.

if wel is already a pathologist from wherever i dont know why hes bothering to do a residency here. plenty of hospitals will take on anyone who claims to be a pathologist.

Thank you for being interest in my post

In fact, I have trained in a surgery subspecialty outside Cnanada. to work as a physician in Canada I need any residency wherever the place

being also low scored in NAC OSCE

sure I will apply for FM but what else as I need to apply as broad as I can

Very interesting results - despite all the talk about shifting relative competitiveness of things there are 4 remaining internal medicine spots and only a single surgery spot in the 2nd round. As usual a bit less than 1/2 of the spots are in Quebec. 

4 remaining internal spots doesn't seem like a lot? did it get more competitive? 

4 remaining internal spots doesn't seem like a lot? did it get more competitive? 

no it doesn't - I mean really with surgery and internal almost completely gone in this game of musical chairs all that seems to be left is family (knowing some spots were reduced). 

all preliminary - it will be interesting to go over the final stats when they appear. 

oh gezzz - that is vaguely insane if true. Internal isn't some small specialty where you expect wild fluctuations.  

How much of this is people going for EM, Anesthesia etc. and wanting to back up with something other than FM?

so as IMG no need to apply for those programs in R2

This year was pretty intense, that's for sure. I know the two spots mentioned at Ottawa (Derm and Uro) are both IMG spots that have been classically unmatched and CMGs have filled in the second round. Ottawa's class was less family than usual this year which shows in our match percentages, but we did get a lot of competitive spots (3 plastics, 3 derms, 2 PMR, 5 ophtho, 5 emerge, even a cardiac surg). I just feel for my classmates who didn't match but are incredible applicants, the swiss cheese phenomenon was harsh this year.

-GP

The grapevine says that 1.5 times the number of applicants this year than last (i.e. 1000 applicants to the major centers)

-GP

That is terrifying. I'm applying to internal and was always somewhat re-assured that it wasn't a very competitive field....le sigh what can we do. i wonder if part of it is with less job prospects in surgical specialties there is more interest in internal? 

I know the MUN class had more students this year. Are we feeling the effect of that plus the continued effect of the decreased residency positions in Ontario last year? I'm not sure what got less competitive, it seemed like a tight year for everything.

There's probably a bit of carry-over from the decrease in residency positions in Ont last year, but it's a very small effect overall. It's impossible to tell at this stage what got less competitive, but I think FM may have received less interest than normal. More 2nd round spots in FM this year compared to previous years. I wonder how much of this is notion of across-the-board increased competitiveness is just perception rather than reality - without the hard data of the match stats, everyone only has an incomplete picture at best. Plenty of hearsay and conjecture complicating the interpretation.

Archived