Premed 101 Forums

2 Year Gpa Calculation

Hi 

My mcat scores are meeting the minimum cutoffs, but my GPA is lacking. I only have one year that is above the 3.7 cutoff and that is my 6th year. Would I be eligible to complete a special year, then apply or should I just give up on applying for medical school.  

Hi 

My mcat scores are meeting the minimum cutoffs, but my GPA is lacking. I only have one year that is above the 3.7 cutoff and that is my 6th year. Would I be eligible to complete a special year, then apply or should I just give up on applying for medical school.  

Ok so you have the MCAT scores which for Western is a big deal. I mean that is the major barrier at that school. It is always hard to answer questions like this without all the details but as you probably know you could apply in the coming year under conditional acceptance rules if you were doing a special year (or just a 7th year if you haven't graduated). Potentially if you did that year you likely could apply to Queens as well under their last two year policy as well. 

What was the GPA you got in that 6th year? Really have to check the math and make sure you hit the course load requirements as well (always helps to check all the math actually, ha. Particularly if you happened to take more than 5.0 credits per year - which sometimes happens just by the nature of the program). 

Do you have any other back up plans you are interested in? Would a 7th year help you with that as well? 

Ok so you have the MCAT scores which for Western is a big deal. I mean that is the major barrier at that school. It is always hard to answer questions like this without all the details but as you probably know you could apply in the coming year under conditional acceptance rules if you were doing a special year (or just a 7th year if you haven't graduated). Potentially if you did that year you likely could apply to Queens as well under their last two year policy as well. 

What was the GPA you got in that 6th year? Really have to check the math and make sure you hit the course load requirements as well (always helps to check all the math actually, ha. Particularly if you happened to take more than 5.0 credits per year - which sometimes happens just by the nature of the program). 

Do you have any other back up plans you are interested in? Would a 7th year help you with that as well? 

6th year GPA 3.86 with the 3/5 course requirements. I unfortunately applied for graduation, as I received an offer of admission to the MPH program at Western and UofT. I'm not too sure whether to start the masters program in fall, then apply to medical school the year after. But at the same time, I'm not too sure if my GPA would allow for it. 

If I complete a special year, Queen's would accept that into their 2 year consideration?

6th year GPA 3.86 with the 3/5 course requirements. I unfortunately applied for graduation, as I received an offer of admission to the MPH program at Western and UofT. I'm not too sure whether to start the masters program in fall, then apply to medical school the year after. But at the same time, I'm not too sure if my GPA would allow for it. 

If I complete a special year, Queen's would accept that into their 2 year consideration?

I believe so for Queens - although that is something for sure you have to check with them as things can change. Trust but verify. Then check again. Always :)

Congrats on the acceptance! You could chose to perhaps defer a year to do the special year (having years back to back on the transcript often appears continuous which may be useful). Or do the Masters and flip around to do the special year. You could keep an eye during the masters on what you would be taking in that year as well to map out a year whose primary goal is max GPA within your set of strengths. 

The advantage to the former special year first approach is you could apply under conditional rules this fall, if it doesn't work after the special year apply again and do the masters. that gives you twice the application cycles and since luck is involved (and rules that help you may change over time) it improves your chances.. 

I believe so for Queens - although that is something for sure you have to check with them as things can change. Trust but verify. Then check again. Always :)

Congrats on the acceptance! You could chose to perhaps defer a year to do the special year (having years back to back on the transcript often appears continuous which may be useful). Or do the Masters and flip around to do the special year. You could keep an eye during the masters on what you would be taking in that year as well to map out a year whose primary goal is max GPA within your set of strengths. 

The advantage to the former special year first approach is you could apply under conditional rules this fall, if it doesn't work after the special year apply again and do the masters. that gives you twice the application cycles and since luck is involved (and rules that help you may change over time) it improves your chances.. 

So I am allowed to do a masters, then come back and complete a special year if I choose to do so, and that will count towards UWOs policies? 

Archived