Premed 101 Forums

Need some serious help with schools

Hey there! I've bought the MSAR, and have looked through it a lot... however I am having some serious struggles with deciding where to apply to. 
My cGPA is a 3.65 with a strong upward trend (first year GPA was a 3.0), my MCAT score is a 509 (poor CARS score), I am rewriting my MCAT this summer. 

I have already completed 90% of the AMCAS application, but now I'm questioning if it's even worth to apply.. Literally every school I look into has different course requirements, different letter of reference requirements, and barely matriculate international students.

(What even is the point of asking for a LOR from a science/ non-science professor... my classes all had 200+ students, no professor I've taken a SINGLE class with will be able to write anything worthwhile.... damn I wish Canadian Schools weren't so competitive)

If anyone has any schools I should look into please let me know!

Thanks peeps :o 

Where are you considered in-province in Canada? What are your individual year GPAs? Were they all full courseload? What are your ECs like? 

Unless you already explored every possible Canadian school, I would highly suggest you go through this before looking at US schools.

15 hours ago, Sandprince said:

Hey there! I've bought the MSAR, and have looked through it a lot... however I am having some serious struggles with deciding where to apply to. 
My cGPA is a 3.65 with a strong upward trend (first year GPA was a 3.0), my MCAT score is a 509 (poor CARS score), I am rewriting my MCAT this summer. 

I have already completed 90% of the AMCAS application, but now I'm questioning if it's even worth to apply.. Literally every school I look into has different course requirements, different letter of reference requirements, and barely matriculate international students.

(What even is the point of asking for a LOR from a science/ non-science professor... my classes all had 200+ students, no professor I've taken a SINGLE class with will be able to write anything worthwhile.... damn I wish Canadian Schools weren't so competitive)

If anyone has any schools I should look into please let me know!

Thanks peeps :o 

I would probably apply to both American and Canadian if I were you. Take a look at the following schools.

Michigan State, Central Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Tulane, Tufts, UofConn, George Washington, Georgetown, UC Davis, Oakland (Beaumont)

Check to see which you'd be competitive at using MSAR and school website statistics. Generally if you have 1 year bio, physics, chem, and 1 sem orgo you'll be fine for all of these schools. No English is required at these schools. If you have English then you could also apply to schools like Wayne state. Alternatively there are the DO schools which are relatively easier to matriculate into, however, I don't have any knowledge of any specifics for these schools.

On 2017-06-22 at 8:30 AM, SoraAde said:

Where are you considered in-province in Canada? What are your individual year GPAs? Were they all full courseload? What are your ECs like? 

Unless you already explored every possible Canadian school, I would highly suggest you go through this before looking at US schools.

On 2017-06-22 at 8:58 AM, JohnGrisham said:

Need much more info. Year by year breakdown. Credits. Pre reqs. How are your Non academics like volunteering and work experience. 

In detail.

Im Alberta IP. My GPA is.. Year 1: 3.00, 2: 3.75, 3: 3.88, 4. 3.92 ... Every year full course load (5 courses per semester). Unfortunately though I am not qualified for Western U, as I didn't fulfill their course requirement in my final year (missing two 400+ year courses.. tbh it sucks because some of my 300 level courses were a LOT more challenging than my 400 level courses).

My work experience is poor (worked 1 and a half summers). My volunteer experiences are really good in terms of community work. I've also volunteered at a hospital program for two years, and shadowed doctors etc. (My strong suit though is my community involvement). I haven't had the opportunity to do any research yet unfortunately.

On 2017-06-22 at 8:35 AM, Neurophilic said:

I would probably apply to both American and Canadian if I were you. Take a look at the following schools.

Michigan State, Central Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Tulane, Tufts, UofConn, George Washington, Georgetown, UC Davis, Oakland (Beaumont)

Check to see which you'd be competitive at using MSAR and school website statistics. Generally if you have 1 year bio, physics, chem, and 1 sem orgo you'll be fine for all of these schools. No English is required at these schools. If you have English then you could also apply to schools like Wayne state. Alternatively there are the DO schools which are relatively easier to matriculate into, however, I don't have any knowledge of any specifics for these schools.

Thank you for that! I will look into all of those, much appreciated :)

Archived