Premed 101 Forums

chances at getting in?? Queens Med

I have been worried lately about my application package! 
Currently I have a GPA of 3.7 and have not written the MCAT yet (planning on it this summer) but, I have 300+ total hours of volunteering in hospitals as well as various health related exercise programs run at the school for cancer patients as well as clinically obese teenagers.   I have  a lot of research jobs doing full time work within a neuroscience lab at the school as well (700+ hours) as well as a researcher at the Ottawa Hospitals Research Institute (700+ hours) I have a publication as lead author and 2 more coming being submitted soon (as co-author) on-top of publications I have numerous conference presentations as well and have been acknowledged in different papers for editing them.  I have other stuff such as sports and random orientation volunteering too. My references are very strong (department heads, lead researchers and profs at medical schools).  

My main goal is queens medical school but, I am worried my GPA is not high enough and is holding me down! I was wondering what my overall chances are when applying to queens (aside form my unwritten MCAT)?  

42 minutes ago, smedium said:

Currently I have a GPA of 3.7 and have not written the MCAT yet (planning on it this summer) but, I have 300+ total hours of volunteering in hospitals as well as various health related exercise programs run at the school for cancer patients as well as clinically obese teenagers.   I have  a lot of research jobs doing full time work within a neuroscience lab at the school as well (700+ hours) as well as a researcher at the Ottawa Hospitals Research Institute (700+ hours) I have a publication as lead author and 2 more coming being submitted soon (as co-author) on-top of publications I have numerous conference presentations as well and have been acknowledged in different papers for editing them.  I have other stuff such as sports and random orientation volunteering too. My references are very strong (department heads, lead researchers and profs at medical schools).  

My main goal is queens medical school but, I am worried my GPA is not high enough and is holding me down! I was wondering what my overall chances are when applying to queens (aside form my unwritten MCAT)?  

What is your weighted GPA for Queens? 

Your EC's look pretty solid, you have some good research experience. Definitely include things that aren't science/health related in your ABS- sports, music/art, other hobbies you've spent considerable time on. Queens definitely seems to like a 'well-rounded' ABS. 

3 hours ago, helicase said:

What is your weighted GPA for Queens? 

Your EC's look pretty solid, you have some good research experience. Definitely include things that aren't science/health related in your ABS- sports, music/art, other hobbies you've spent considerable time on. Queens definitely seems to like a 'well-rounded' ABS. 

My wGPA for queens is at a 3.7 exactly 

2 hours ago, smedium said:

My wGPA for queens is at a 3.7 exactly 

ah ok. 3.7 may be cutting it close without a grad degree. I have seen people interview with 3.7 before, but of course the cutoffs may change year to year.  

18 hours ago, smedium said:

tbh you should never aim for a single school, this is a very narrow approach. All schools in Canada are ridicuolously competitive and even the best applicant with a 4.0 GPA, 528 MCAT and fantastic ECs is not guaranteed acceptance anywhere. To make things worse, you are talking about Queens, which is the most selective program in the entire country, if not North America as they accept 90 out of 5000 applicants. You should try for all schools and let the chips fall where they belong.

5 hours ago, InternistInTraining said:

tbh you should never aim for a single school, this is a very narrow approach. All schools in Canada are ridicuolously competitive and even the best applicant with a 4.0 GPA, 528 MCAT and fantastic ECs is not guaranteed acceptance anywhere. To make things worse, you are talking about Queens, which is the most selective program in the entire country, if not North America as they accept 90 out of 5000 applicants. You should try for all schools and let the chips fall where they belong.

Makes sense! for me the goal is queens but, in the end I would be happy with anything to be honest.  

Archived