Premed 101 Forums

Help me!!!

Keekz

Hi guys, 

im planning on doing a fifth undergraduate year to complete a thesis and boost my gpa, does it make a difference when applying to med schools if I were to graduate and return for course or should I put off graduating until next year? 

Many help is appreciated, 

thanks 

for most places it doesn't matter - but for Western it does. They have specific rules about years taken after graduating if you want it to count. Since it is a school that people often target due to its GPA forgiveness rules it is often worth checking out what they are (no first year courses, no second year courses without a first year prereq.....). Also you can have only one of them for Western.

Also there was talk that Ottawa didn't consider those sorts of years either. 

Some schools also restrict what courses you can do after graduating or put you at the back of the bus as it were in terms of priority to signing up. 

All in all there doesn't seem to be much point in graduating I think when you balance out all the rules. Still that is up to each person to look at :)

22 hours ago, Bcemslayer said:

I think some schools only look at courses taken during a full time course load. I would delay graduating, most schools (read: all schools?) don't care if you took extra time. 

most don't indeed - that year regardless of pre or post graduating (after you decided) should definitely be a full time year :)

Archived