Premed 101 Forums

Second degree- Thoughts?

Hello,

I have come to the realization that drastic measures must be taken in order for me to get back on the pre-med track. I finished an undergrad (BScN) with a GPA in the range of 2.7. I understand where I went wrong (perhaps it was the fact that I barely studied and didn't study effectively- im surprised I got by to be honest). At this time, I have been working as an RN since and have matured and have now decided that I want to do whatever it takes to improve my GPA and become competitive in that sense; I have great ECs so I will just try and keep them active throughout this next process. I have a couple of questions...

1) Have any of you enrolled in a second UG degree from a different university? 

2) Coming from a BScN, is there anyway I can do a three year degree? Is there any med schools out there that would take my most recent years of schooling into account and allow me to apply after 1-2 years of work in the new degree? (I finished 4th year with a 3.4). 

3) *Subjective*- Which degree subject would likely be the easiest for GPA boosting? I already have a workable degree so I just need high grades. 

1) yes many people have done exactly that

2) yes you can do that as well quite often - it is a question on any transfer credits and so on. You have to make sure you meet all the various school rules which often means contacting them. 

I will leave the last point for now as there are a bunch of opinions etc :)

Thanks for the reply @rmorelan, i've got lots to think about. Unfortunately, BScN was limited in the sense of transferable credits as most of my courses were NURS. I'll have to email potential universities and ask what my options would be for a second degree? I would expect that they can provide me with some information to that regard

16 minutes ago, Keope said:

Thanks for the reply @rmorelan, i've got lots to think about. Unfortunately, BScN was limited in the sense of transferable credits as most of my courses were NURS. I'll have to email potential universities and ask what my options would be for a second degree? I would expect that they can provide me with some information to that regard

Yeah even still I believe SOME of them have counted for previous RNs (at least in some cases ha - so vague I admit) - there are few who did exactly what you are proposing that are zipping around the forum time to time. Even if it just covers some of your electives for the new degree it can help. 

7 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Yeah even still I believe SOME of them have counted for previous RNs (at least in some cases ha - so vague I admit) - there are few who did exactly what you are proposing that are zipping around the forum time to time. Even if it just covers some of your electives for the new degree it can help. 

I would be reluctant to add those into the equation because unfortunately I did not do so well on all of my electives... Would they be added in for credits AND also contribute to the new UG degree GPA as an elective? If the latter I would almost rather take a new course in lieu of :P

41 minutes ago, Keope said:

I would be reluctant to add those into the equation because unfortunately I did not do so well on all of my electives... Would they be added in for credits AND also contribute to the new UG degree GPA as an elective? If the latter I would almost rather take a new course in lieu of :P

they won't double count for GPA if they are used but of course using the highlights the fact you have another degree ha 

• 2 weeks later...

Old credits would not count. 

Even if your credits are not "transferrable" several schools have altered requirements for second degree students. For example, I don't have to do three of the required courses and I have no electives required, not even the ones usually needed for breadth requirements. So three years should be very doable, but full-time. SFU specifically is nice for second degree because it runs year round. 

Archived