Premed 101 Forums

Electives in Surgical Speciality

• 1 month later...

I think doing internal, emerg, and rads electives to get a “broad” experience is a good idea and they “work” (I.e., you can defend doing electives in them if asked at interview) with whatever you end up applying to. But I’d say do at least 8-10 weeks of electives in your desired speciality and afterwards you can broaden. Unless you want to back up with smth else, then consider doing some of those electives pre-CaRMS to get letters. 

You want ortho? Look at the competitiveness stats from CaRMS.

It is hyper-competitive, and ortho is not a broad speciality like, say Neurology or even Gen Surg. Do all the electives you can in it, and supplement only with other specialty electives that directly relate. For example: neurosurg spine, plastics hand, physiatry trauma rehab if you must.

But remember, being SEEN on ortho electives by people who are on the CaRMS selection committee for that program is far more valuable than a note on your CV that you did some elective in another specialty that you might not even apply to.

Do not put all your eggs in one basket. You need to apply to at least one other specialty in my opinion as you don’t truly know where lightning will strike. I am in a competitive surgical specialty. I applied to 3 fields where I considered I would feel fulfilled personally and professionally, did my interviews, ranked my choices although I felt they equal in my view, and I let others determine my fate.

1 hour ago, humhum said:

You want ortho? Look at the competitiveness stats from CaRMS.

It is hyper-competitive, and ortho is not a broad speciality like, say Neurology or even Gen Surg. Do all the electives you can in it, and supplement only with other specialty electives that directly relate. For example: neurosurg spine, plastics hand, physiatry trauma rehab if you must.

But remember, being SEEN on ortho electives by people who are on the CaRMS selection committee for that program is far more valuable than a note on your CV that you did some elective in another specialty that you might not even apply to.

lol ortho is not "hyper competitive" in canada. Look at the stats from last year, it was less competitive than peds, anesthesia, neurology, among others. And just under psych in terms of competitiveness. Middle of the road.

Agree with Bambi. But...don’t forget to make sure you fully understand what each specialty you may “back up” with  is truly like...many people may receive their second or third choices that they feel will be suitable in their mind but may not have great interest in before and have failed to look beyond getting that residency with regard to such things as lifestyle, call requirements once finished residency, future job prospects and only focus on a location for residency and getting a spot.

11 hours ago, beeboop said:

lol ortho is not "hyper competitive" in canada. Look at the stats from last year, it was less competitive than peds, anesthesia, neurology, among others. And just under psych in terms of competitiveness. Middle of the road.

It is no internal medicine or radiology. You just listed all the hyper competitive specialities. 

If you want to back-up with surgical subspecialty, you can try trauma. Its not that far from ortho, but can be used for gen surg. Agree with physiatry and emerg.

Some universities have specific rules regarding electives (no more than 3 in surgical subspecialty or at least 3 carms programs). Check rules at your home school. 

Archived