Premed 101 Forums

dental loupes

Hi! I would like to know which company is the best for dental loupes? 

I'm wondering if any of you have tried the Xenosys loupes? I've tried looking for reviews but couldn't find any... 

Do you have good comments for these companies? : DesignsforVision / Orascoptic / ExamVision / Optik Medic / Lumadent / Q-optic 

Thanks

I personally have the 3.3x from ExamVision and found it to be great thus far! The things I liked about these particular loupes were the aesthetic look of them, the fact that I still had a bigger field of vision despite the magnification compared with other looks. Also, the loupes are measured to be ergonomic for body/face.  Also, the reps were very quick to reply to any concerns or questions I had. Also, I decided to get the light with them as well and found the battery life to be good thus far. I also liked how the rep mentioned if I had any issues with the light to ship it back and they would ship over a "loaner light" in the meantime. The big con of these loupes is def the price as it quite high compared with others. 

The best ones are whatever feels best on you. You have to try them on. I would also make sure you're buying your local rep, not just the loupes. The level of support you receive and how friendly/accommodating the service people are is important.

I have two pairs of ExamVisions, the 3.5x Keplers I use now are great. I use Lumadent lights/batteries.

8 hours ago, cleanup said:

The best ones are whatever feels best on you. You have to try them on. I would also make sure you're buying your local rep, not just the loupes. The level of support you receive and how friendly/accommodating the service people are is important.

I have two pairs of ExamVisions, the 3.5x Keplers I use now are great. I use Lumadent lights/batteries.

Are there advantageous of certain companies over others? I'm in the process of purchasing a pair before I start and honestly didn't give this much thought until now. And what magnification would you recommend?

4 hours ago, Starburst said:

Are there advantageous of certain companies over others? I'm in the process of purchasing a pair before I start and honestly didn't give this much thought until now. And what magnification would you recommend?

Pretty sure you'll have a bunch of reps visit you at the start of first year which will allow you to try a bunch of different styles and mags. At least that's how it was at my school. I went with Surgitel 2.5 flip downs.

23 hours ago, Starburst said:

Don't buy a set before you start. Buy a set like halfway through your pre-clinical stuff, once you have an idea of "Oh, this is how I sit." Even then you're likely to change posture and all sorts of things (and may buy another pair before you graduate like I did) but at least you have a semblance of an idea of what sitting at a mannequin/patient chair is like. Buying loupes (or doing anything really) before hand is over-eager and ill-advised.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, cleanup said:

Agree with @cleanup and I have the same setup with 3.5x ExamVisions and Lumadent lights/batteries (Best Value Package). There is a $100 group discount (10 students) for ExamVision, so find friends who want ExamVision in your class (when you are a month or two into operative/restorative) so everyone can benefit from the group discount.

I've got the ExamVision 4.6x; amazing optics compared to the 'school-provided' Univet set. A bit on the heavier side, but decent depth of field, great working distance/mag ratio - and I can comfortably see an entire sextant. Paired them with the Lumadent light with a solid metal mount.

-- and yes, I use them for scaling as well!

On 4/4/2019 at 8:50 PM, cleanup said:

Don't buy a set before you start. Buy a set like halfway through your pre-clinical stuff, once you have an idea of "Oh, this is how I sit." Even then you're likely to change posture and all sorts of things (and may buy another pair before you graduate like I did) but at least you have a semblance of an idea of what sitting at a mannequin/patient chair is like. Buying loupes (or doing anything really) before hand is over-eager and ill-advised.

Great advice, i'll hold off on it then. Were there people in your class that didn't use loupes at all?

5 hours ago, Starburst said:

Great advice, i'll hold off on it then. Were there people in your class that didn't use loupes at all?

In my class specifically I don't think so but there are a few I know who never bothered. And personally I use them less and less for certain things namely anterior composites and extractions. I can work without loupes if I really have to. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 6:58 AM, cleanup said:

In my class specifically I don't think so but there are a few I know who never bothered. And personally I use them less and less for certain things namely anterior composites and extractions. I can work without loupes if I really have to. 

Wow that's actually relieving to hear. The thing is I have very high prescription (like -9.00 in each eyes with astigmatism) and tbh I'm kind of scared getting loupes. Is it true wearing loupes makes your prescription worse?

On 4/22/2019 at 12:31 AM, Starburst said:

Wow that's actually relieving to hear. The thing is I have very high prescription (like -9.00 in each eyes with astigmatism) and tbh I'm kind of scared getting loupes. Is it true wearing loupes makes your prescription worse?

Any form of close work can affect your vision, IMO. I'm no optometrist though. I know my eyes have gotten a lot worse the last few years. I'm sure some of that is just aging/genetics, but I highly doubt staring at a virtual image of a tooth 6 inches from your eyeballs (not really but the loupes make it seem that way) helps.

Archived