Premed 101 Forums

FM to IM / Neuro transfer

Hello everyone, 

I'm an IMG from Australia who recently matched to an FM program in Ontario, but am strongly considering a transfer to IM or Neurology. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any success stories of transfers along the same lines. I'm aware of the internal university transfer process that takes place around January, but I'm also aware that transferring from FM to a specialty can be difficult given the discrepancy in funding. 

Just a bit of background about, I was an IM resident in Australia, but decided to make the move back home due to a family member being ill. Cheers and any input/ advice would be much appreciated. 

55 minutes ago, saskdr101 said:

I think you can only transfer after completing 2 years of residency, so you might have to finish FM and then apply for second round IM/ Neuro afterwards. 

lol where did you hear that.. better to not say anything if you're not sure! you can initiate the transfer process in 1st year usually- they make you wait a few blocks before you can do it though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 4:46 PM, holiday1001 said:

lol where did you hear that.. better to not say anything if you're not sure! you can initiate the transfer process in 1st year usually- they make you wait a few blocks before you can do it though.

pretty sure i read it on carms but i may have been reading about doing a second residency not transferring. My mistake

On 5/7/2019 at 9:54 AM, tucan24 said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm an IMG from Australia who recently matched to an FM program in Ontario, but am strongly considering a transfer to IM or Neurology. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any success stories of transfers along the same lines. I'm aware of the internal university transfer process that takes place around January, but I'm also aware that transferring from FM to a specialty can be difficult given the discrepancy in funding. 

Just a bit of background about, I was an IM resident in Australia, but decided to make the move back home due to a family member being ill. Cheers and any input/ advice would be much appreciated. 

If you qualify consider the Canadian forces for a second residency while making family doc money. IM and neuro are definitely sponsored options

• 4 weeks later...