Premed 101 Forums

Can I apply to UofT if I've been accepted (& deferred) at another med school?

Hey everyone, 

I would appreciate your input. I got accepted to UofA this year and I deferred it so I can finish my MSc. I paid the deposit and everything to confirm my enrolment at UofA. At the time I applied, I couldn't apply to UofT which is ideally my first choice due to a multitude of factors because I was in the middle of my MSc. I was thinking of applying now to UofT because I'll be finishing my MSc. Is this even allowed/possible, or is the worst case scenario that I'd lose the 1000$ deposit I paid?

Thanks!

I don't think the schools communicate so theoretically possible, but I think on OMSAS there is a question that pertains to having attended/withdrawn from another medical school previously. I suppose technically you wouldn't have met that criteria and could answer no. I doubt there would be any consequences to pursuing this. That being said, you're probably overrating UofT and UofA is a great school.

I'd recommend a bit more caution. Medical schools *do* communicate with each other - for instance, in their offer letter U of T states that Canadian medical schools share acceptance data with each other, and warns that accepting more than one offer could lead to your offer being revoked. I recognize that your situation is a bit different (having been accepted to one, you're applying to another, not yet accepting another) but still might be frowned upon.

Even a 1% risk of something going wrong tips the risk-reward ratio unfavorably in this scenario. All medical schools in Canada are more or less the same, so the associated risk, however small, is too much to stomach. But that' just me. 

A lot of people have an unhealthy obsession with UofT btw. Not saying you do but I've noticed it a lot in other people who aren't as well informed about medical schools in Canada.