Premed 101 Forums

I was wondering how important it is to fill up all 32 slots on the ABS? The reason I'm asking is because I know OMSAS decreased the ABS from like 48 to 32 so I'm under the assumption that they expect every slot to be filled out. I have around 28-29 items that are meaningful to me and don't really want to put any high-school stuff on my application. Thanks!

It really doesn’t matter how many slots you fill up. The medical schools don’t count how many spots you fill up. I personally filled up around 30 and got 2 Ontario interviews. 28-29 items seems pretty good to me. Just make sure you are including high quality entries and that’s really all you can do.

There is probably over a hundred threads already asking the same question. 

To give you an idea, Many people have gotten interviews and acceptances with less than 30 slots filled in. This also applies to the previous cycles when OMSAS allowed 48 items. I received an interview with 36 items when there was 48 available slots.

14 hours ago, zxcccxz said:

How do you guys have 30+ items to put on there? I only have like 12 to be honest, because I went for quality over quantity (each one like 100hours+, with the longest one being 1100 hours. 

are people including hobbies, gym, sports, personal interests and other things like that to make up the count?

There is also awards, which took up a bunch of spots for me. Also as @MedicineLCS said, one-time events can add to that as well.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:39 AM, zxcccxz said:

How do you guys have 30+ items to put on there? I only have like 12 to be honest, because I went for quality over quantity (each one like 100hours+, with the longest one being 1100 hours. 

are people including hobbies, gym, sports, personal interests and other things like that to make up the count?

I wouldn't worry, most people put low quality stuff to fill up spots. I'd be hard pressed to believe anyone with even 10+ volunteer activities could have meaningfully contributed to all of them. UofC has 10 spots only, and for good reason.