Premed 101 Forums

Getting an MD at McGill University

JessDay123

Hi there,

I have two primary questions I'm hoping to get some insight on:

1) I've heard from a few people that if I were to pursue an MD at McGill U, I'd be required to stay and work in Quebec. I was wondering whether this is valid to any degree? 

2) Is it advised that applicants be bilingual; I just imagine having to work with both english- and french-speaking patients, so curious as to whether this factor would be a challenge? 

Thanks in advance!  

1 hour ago, JessDay123 said:

Hi there,

I have two primary questions I'm hoping to get some insight on:

1) I've heard from a few people that if I were to pursue an MD at McGill U, I'd be required to stay and work in Quebec. I was wondering whether this is valid to any degree? 

2) Is it advised that applicants be bilingual; I just imagine having to work with both english- and french-speaking patients, so curious as to whether this factor would be a challenge? 

Thanks in advance!  

1) That's entirely false. In fact, if you're Out-of-Province, you have to sign a form indicating that you *won't* work in Quebec. More specifically, it states that if you work in Quebec, they can place you wherever the need is greatest, and you pay a penalty if you're adamant about working in a given location. However, you're free to go anywhere else in the world and work without issues. As well, tuition in QC is cheaper, so it actually ends up being better for the student provided they don't want to work in a specific place, like Montreal.

2) Yeah, they do really recommend being bilingual. However, I know many, many students who aren't even close to being bilingual. Being able to interact, understand written and spoken French to a basic level is probably ideal. But it's not an official requirement.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:22 AM, canada747 said:

1) That's entirely false. In fact, if you're Out-of-Province, you have to sign a form indicating that you *won't* work in Quebec. More specifically, it states that if you work in Quebec, they can place you wherever the need is greatest, and you pay a penalty if you're adamant about working in a given location. However, you're free to go anywhere else in the world and work without issues. As well, tuition in QC is cheaper, so it actually ends up being better for the student provided they don't want to work in a specific place, like Montreal.

2) Yeah, they do really recommend being bilingual. However, I know many, many students who aren't even close to being bilingual. Being able to interact, understand written and spoken French to a basic level is probably ideal. But it's not an official requirement.

Wow--OKAY, thanks so much for the clarification! :)