Premed 101 Forums

First time ve Re-applicant

Hi, 

I am aware that on average, canadian applicants apply multiple times before getting accepted, but does the first time/re-applicant status matter in the application process? On OMSAS, it actually asks whether or not I have applied in previous years, 

I’m a little concerned as I’m an order applicant, applying for the first time after a graduate degree, and I really hope that i won’t be penalized for being a first time applicant. 

Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, jero123 said:

Hi, 

I am aware that on average, canadian applicants apply multiple times before getting accepted, but does the first time/re-applicant status matter in the application process? On OMSAS, it actually asks whether or not I have applied in previous years, 

I’m a little concerned as I’m an order applicant, applying for the first time after a graduate degree, and I really hope that i won’t be penalized for being a first time applicant. 

Thank you. 

I don’t think it should make a difference. I applied and got in on my first attempt after completing a 4 year degree + 1 year of work experience. (I applied in the fall following my graduation).

38 minutes ago, jero123 said:

Hi, 

Thank you. 

There are several older applicants who are successful every year. The class average age at most schools are between 24-28. In my class, 30% of students had graduate degree’s and 30% of those students had a PHD.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about age, just apply and see what happens.

8 hours ago, jero123 said:

Hi, 

Thank you. 

Nope no penalty - they just are tracking some statistics for their own use. No school cares about that sort of thing.