Premed 101 Forums

Chances of Getting into Med School??

Zoeymed

I graduated from UofT with a cumulative GPA of 3.57 (undergrad), i felt that my GPA was too low for med school so I looked for other career options, now I have graduated and I am practising as a dental hygienist!

But i don't enjoy my profession, I go to work everyday with a what if I tried for Med School question on my mind?

Now I really want to know of what my chances are? During undergrad, I didn't work or volunteer!!!

The only experiences I had was working at a call centre, volunteering in ER department and NOW working as a dental hygienist!

I want some feedback on my chanced for MedSchool; and whether I should start studying and preparing for my MCAT???

Help anyone

Your profile is not competitive. GPA is King and those with much higher, competitive GPAs are routinely rejected. Then, Med schools are long king for active citizens in the community,vthose who contribute to society while doing well academically. Therefore, on a preliminary glance, in my honest opinion, your chances are extremely slim to none.  As you don’t have the basic qualifications at this time, I don’t suggest you start preparing for the MCAT.

You would need a second undergrad ain’t a competitive GPA combined with ECs & volunteering that demonstrate CanMEDS competencies.to be able to have a decent shot at it. 

3 hours ago, Bambi said:

Your profile is not competitive. GPA is King and those with much higher, competitive GPAs are routinely rejected. Then, Med schools are long king for active citizens in the community,vthose who contribute to society while doing well academically. Therefore, on a preliminary glance, in my honest opinion, your chances are extremely slim to none.  As you don’t have the basic qualifications at this time, I don’t suggest you start preparing for the MCAT.

You would need a second undergrad ain’t a competitive GPA combined with ECs & volunteering that demonstrate CanMEDS competencies.to be able to have a decent shot at it. 

A cGPA is useless as a measure of competitiveness in Canada, except for Mac. It is possible that OP would have a good profile depending on their wGPA. 

I received two interviews last year with a 3.6 cGPA, from Ottawa and Calgary.

Zoeymed, calculate your wGPA for Ottawa, UofT, Queens, Western. They all have different wGPA formula. If you are at least 3.8+ generally, you could still have a chance. Until then, it’s hard to give concrete advice without more info

8 minutes ago, Zoeymed said:

What is cGPA and wGPA??

How do i calculate??

cGPA is your cumulative GPA. Keep in mind that on the OMSAS scale, at UofT the general consensus is 85 + = 4.0, but on the OMSAS or medical school scale 90 + = 4.0 and 85-90 = 3.9, you can read more here:

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-conversion-table/

wGPA stands for weighted GPA. For example, if all of your years at UofT undergrad were full-time studies (5.0 FCE per year), UofT med will drop your lowest 1.0 FCE in each year (or something like that) in your GPA calculation - i.e. your cGPA is not what they look at, but a wGPA using a new formula with new weight assignments. Different schools have different formulas for calculating GPA. Mac is the only school that takes your cGPA at face value from my knowledge. I'm not going to link all the schools' formulas here but you should be able to find them individually based on their admissions websites. They are very transparent with this kind of stuff. Good luck!

I agree with the above comments as well: take some time to research each school's formula, calculate your wGPA accordingly. You will need 3.8+ to be competitive especially when you're lacking in EC's.