Premed 101 Forums

Not sure if my GPA qualifies?

The wording on the Dal site regarding their GPA assessment is confusing me a little. I'm finished my degree, and I did 5 years

--> Do they take the 2 most consecutive senior years (i.e. year 4 and 5)

--> Or do they take the best 3 years? (for me: Years 2, 4, and 5)

Year 1: 3.6

Year 2: 3.9

Year 3: 3.6

Year 4: 3.66 (Does this round to 3.7?)

Year 5: 3.8

Do I even qualify to apply? I'm OOP so the minimum is 3.7

2 hours ago, MrsAaronSamuels said:

The wording on the Dal site regarding their GPA assessment is confusing me a little. I'm finished my degree, and I did 5 years

--> Do they take the 2 most consecutive senior years (i.e. year 4 and 5)

--> Or do they take the best 3 years? (for me: Years 2, 4, and 5)

Year 1: 3.6

Year 2: 3.9

Year 3: 3.6

Year 4: 3.66 (Does this round to 3.7?)

Year 5: 3.8

Do I even qualify to apply? I'm OOP so the minimum is 3.7

So I would be putting in your two most recent years. Keep in mind also that the GPA calculation is not just an average of your avgGPA for those two years. Each individual letter grade is used  and weighted in terms of credit hours over those two years, to get a total, of which is divided by the number of grades. Hope that makes sense. So whether its 3.66 or 3.7 really doesn’t matter. 

51 minutes ago, Dalhousie23 said:

So I would be putting in your two most recent years. Keep in mind also that the GPA calculation is not just an average of your avgGPA for those two years. Each individual letter grade is used  and weighted in terms of credit hours over those two years, to get a total, of which is divided by the number of grades. Hope that makes sense. So whether its 3.66 or 3.7 really doesn’t matter. 

Thanks for the help!

Is that the case? On the dal site it says "For all of the above assessments, you must meet the stated minimum GPA requirement for the applicant category you are applying in, in EACH year being assessed. GPAs from each year of study are then averaged to determine your overall GPA." I thought that this meant they took an "average of averages."

Would it not then be better for me to use my best 3 years (years 2, 4, 5) which goes (3.9 + 3.7 + 3.8)/3 = 3.8 overall GPA? 

10 hours ago, MrsAaronSamuels said:

Thanks for the help!

Is that the case? On the dal site it says "For all of the above assessments, you must meet the stated minimum GPA requirement for the applicant category you are applying in, in EACH year being assessed. GPAs from each year of study are then averaged to determine your overall GPA." I thought that this meant they took an "average of averages."

Would it not then be better for me to use my best 3 years (years 2, 4, 5) which goes (3.9 + 3.7 + 3.8)/3 = 3.8 overall GPA? 

Oh. Well I don’t recall reading that for my cycle. Perhaps thats new? Not sure. 

If thats the case, then yes I would do as you said, to use your best three years without a doubt. I do specifically recall them weighting the gpa based on credit hours, but maybe they’ve done away with that?

Cheers!