Premed 101 Forums

Question

I have a quick question, I am a IMG who didn't match during last years cycle and I am currently enrolled in a grad program. I have been going to residency programs over the past several months, and when I talk to program directors, there seems to be less weight held on a having a masters degree over published research. I have the ability to prolong my masters over two years, but in setting where I match, I can just drop it. 

Does anyone have any experience onto how much weight a master's degree adds to the CaRMS application? Or should I be focusing more on research and exposure? I have several publications at the moment, but I am finding that my grad program is taking more time away from my research than what I would like. 

I have received a bunch of mixed answers. 

Thanks!

Thanks for responding, my masters is a mixture of courses + research project. It can be completed in one year but extended to two or more years if needed. The courses are pretty intensive and require a lot of work since I am unfamiliar with a lot of the concepts. I am not a big fan of epidemiology or biostatistics.....  

When I spoke to program directors and CaRMS committee members - they said a Master's doesn't hold much weight since they don't have any perspective to the amount of work which has been put into it vs. publications where most to all CaRMS committee members can related to the pain of publishing/editorial process.

I was hoping to use the Master's as a way to improve my application/CV competitiveness. I have completed my USMLEs and I will be applying to the States this year. I completed my medical school in the UK. 

If the consensus is that research + exposure is more important, I will just throttle down my Master's work load and extend it over two years. If i end up matching this year I will drop my grad program and take it up in the future.

Do I have disclose that my master's program is going to be extended? Also, do programs ask for a master's/grad school transcript?

Thanks again