Premed 101 Forums

Chances of acceptance

Hey everyone, 

Just wondering if more experienced people could give me some feedback on chances of getting into MUN. I'm an in-province applicant. 

GPA: 3.97/4.00

MCAT: 518 (131/128/130/129)

Other: Probably just average, or below average, extracurriculars. I think I have decent non-volunteering experience, but sub-par volunteering experience. One summer research job, with NSERC, as well as plenty of academic awards at university level. I've learned a lot from extracurriculars, but I felt that MUN doesn't actually give much of a chance to elaborate on them, which concerns me (i.e. they seem to just look at the title of the activity and how long you've done it, etc). Too bad there wasn't a place to write more about them. 

Interview: Thought it went well/ok - except for one MMI station where, though I felt comfortable at the time and enjoyed the discussion, in hindsight I see that my answer wasn't as careful as it should have been. Definitely wish I had taken the other "option" for this one. Other than that, I found the interviewers to be kind, and the questions to be relatively straight forward. Enjoyed the discussions throughout the day. Hard to comment on the SJT (situational judgement test). 

Any thoughts? 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:35 AM, Limes said:

Probably fine? You have amazing stats and assuming the interview went as well as you think it did, chances are you're fine. 

Thanks. I get the sense, however, that MUN simply doesn't really care if someone has great GPA/MCAT. I mean if they're accepting people with ~497-500's then it seems like you just need to meet some threshold and then its not used very competitively. I suppose I've just developed this fear that I've put all my eggs in one basket (i.e. my stats). 

2 hours ago, WunderBar said:

Thanks. I get the sense, however, that MUN simply doesn't really care if someone has great GPA/MCAT. I mean if they're accepting people with ~497-500's then it seems like you just need to meet some threshold and then its not used very competitively. I suppose I've just developed this fear that I've put all my eggs in one basket (i.e. my stats). 

Well, that's a bit of a flawed assumption, don't you think? There are certainly people who are accepted with "poor" academic scores, however, we are not privy to any of the disadvantaging factors they may have experienced, their EC's, and on the list goes. 

Speaking as someone in the opposite situation as you, I'd rather be in your position than my own. The scores are tangible - they're easier to assess and rank relative to the competition. I've no idea how they assess everything else; it certainly seems like a daunting task. 

In the mean time, we'll both have to try our best to not fixate on the wait too much :)

• 1 month later...

Forgot to reply to this a while ago. Yeah I definitely agree that having good stats feels more "secure" than being confident in one's ECs, etc. I suppose the fact that MUN is known for accepting people with low MCATs etc really just shows that they're open to looking at the "whole" candidate, and they don't just subscribe to the mindset of good MCAT = good student. I just want it to be March!