Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Hi all

Last year I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to get in once I was waitlisted. I was one of the fortunate ones, and there are a few of us, who got in off the NS waitlist. I wanted to let you all know to have hope, especially if you’re one who is quite high on whichever waitlist you’re on, and even if your a bit farther down on the WL. The waitlist does move. It varies year to year, most of the movement occurs on the out of province waitlist, but other lists definitely move as well. I vividly remember hoping people decline their offers, which may sound odd to some people, but probably not to those on the WL. 

Below are statistics from the AFMC  (https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf) about Dalhousie. Pay attention to the “Offer Declined” section, which tells you how many students got in off the waitlist. 

I hope this helps many of you ease your minds and remain hopeful. 

Let me know if you any questions at all.

image.thumb.jpeg.2cff3092e73e6b5d80723ccf65ba986b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LittleMonkey101 said:

Great post! How many OOP seats? 

How many OOP seats for the class in general? If so, I believe there are Nine OOP seats, although they upped the capacity this year by 12, so unclear if any of those go to OOP students, I’m betting not, but don’t quote me on that. 

 

11 minutes ago, cmacd73 said:

Do you know if the PEI waitlist moves at all?

Unfortunately those statistics I posted don’t break down how many declined by province. If you go back through the forums over the years, the PEI list has moved, just like the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dalhousie23 said:

Hi all

Last year I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to get in once I was waitlisted. I was one of the fortunate ones, and there are a few of us, who got in off the NS waitlist. I wanted to let you all know to have hope, especially if you’re one who is quite high on whichever waitlist you’re on, and even if your a bit farther down on the WL. The waitlist does move. It varies year to year, most of the movement occurs on the out of province waitlist, but other lists definitely move as well. I vividly remember hoping people decline their offers, which may sound odd to some people, but probably not to those on the WL. 

Below are statistics from the AFMC  (https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf) about Dalhousie. Pay attention to the “Offer Declined” section, which tells you how many students got in off the waitlist. 

I hope this helps many of you ease your minds and remain hopeful. 

Let me know if you any questions at all.

image.thumb.jpeg.2cff3092e73e6b5d80723ccf65ba986b.jpeg

Do you mind sharing your score when you were waitlisted ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, med1day said:

What is the lowest score you've heard someone off the waitlist get accepted with? 

 

I would keep in mind that this can vary year to year dramatically. I cannot recall exactly, but numbers like 65 come to mind? 

It’s important to mention that you’re total score is not what they use to admit someone off the WL. It’s a good predictor, but it is the Z-score they use - which you cannot calculate without the Standard deviations of each category. 

I remember last year that someone got in off the NS waitlist with a lower total score than I did. I was extremely confused at first, but then realized it came down to Z-scores.

If you’re below the “65” I said above, I wouldn’t nix your chances altogether. You never know how many people will decline or accept another offer, especially with the current pandemic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dalhousie23 said:

I remember last year that someone got in off the NS waitlist with a lower total score than I did. I was extremely confused at first, but then realized it came down to Z-scores.

 

 

Oh wow, was that person a rural/indigenous applicant that perhaps had affirmative action that made that happen or is it all z-scores? Reason I ask is because 4 people were additionally added to last years class from rural/indigenous applicant pool pretty sure  
 

Do you remember by any chance that person's score? I’m assuming they were accepted before you were? Thanks for this information by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, multitry said:

 

Oh wow, was that person a rural/indigenous applicant that perhaps had affirmative action that made that happen or is it all z-scores? Reason I ask is because 4 people were additionally added to last years class from rural/indigenous applicant pool pretty sure  
 

Do you remember by any chance that person's score? I’m assuming they were accepted before you were? Thanks for this information by the way.

I don’t believe they would’ve fallen into that pool of applicants, but I couldn’t say with 100% certainty. My score was 71.07, and I believe they had a low 70. They got accepted, then I followed a month later.

3 hours ago, med1day said:

Did the numbers like 65 come from NS residents by any chance? 

Hm. I can’t recall. If you’re bored and have the time, I’d go through the Accepted/waitlisted/etc thread at the top of the Dalhousie megathread and browse through it. I know there was a fair amount of NB movement last year. I remember because I was frustrated that the NS one wasn’t moving initially, but the NB did a lot. The NS one moved later on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this post. Much needed during this time, and it's been driving me crazy.   

I have a total score of 71.9.. but didn't score well on Interview section... so not sure how is that going to play out in the Z score calculation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hope1108 said:

Thank you for this post. Much needed during this time, and it's been driving me crazy.   

I have a total score of 71.9.. but didn't score well on Interview section... so not sure how is that going to play out in the Z score calculation.  

You’re welcome!

Very difficult to determine how you’ll fair when you talk about Z-scores specifically. 

Can you, or anyone else, provide the averages for each section?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dalhousie23 said:

You’re welcome!

Very difficult to determine how you’ll fair when you talk about Z-scores specifically. 

Can you, or anyone else, provide the averages for each section?

Dal Avg

GPA 3.86

MCAT 508

ESSAY 22.4/35

MMI 27.6/40

 

Question for your score last year, did you remember if you have any section that's below the published average?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hope1108 said:

Dal Avg

GPA 3.86

MCAT 508

ESSAY 22.4/35

MMI 27.6/40

 

Question for your score last year, did you remember if you have any section that's below the published average?

Thanks for that, so if you tally those average up, I would suspect, unless they’ve changed the scoring from last year:

GPA: 14 points

MCAT: 7 or 8 points

Supplemental: 22.4 points

MMI: 27.6 points

For a total of either 71.00 or 72.00

 

Also, yes I did. I was lower than average on the MMI (which should be re-assuring to you, and others reading this), and one point lower on the GPA. I was much higher on the supplemental. And on par with the MCAT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dalhousie23 said:

Thanks for that, so if you tally those average up, I would suspect, unless they’ve changed the scoring from last year:

GPA: 9 points

MCAT: 12 or 13 points

Supplemental: 22.4 points

MMI: 27.6 points

For a total of either 71.00 or 72.00

 

Also, yes I did. I was lower than average on the MMI (which should be re-assuring to you, and others reading this), and one point lower on the GPA. I was much higher on the supplemental. And on par with the MCAT. 

GPA is out of 15 isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...