Premed 101 Forums

NOSM Waitlist 2020

11 minutes ago, Northern RN said:

Hello all! I am on the waitlist, and never receive the update on the 26th, nor have I received any further updates. I read through this amazing forum and saw the update saying theres only two spots left. I tried calling admissions and the office is closed until June 8th. Any advice of why I didn't receive an update email? Confused...

Thanks!

That is very strange that you did not receive the update. Have you tried emailing? I imagine most of the admissions staff are working from home so they might be responsive to emails. Hopefully you hear back soon! 

23 minutes ago, Northern RN said:

Hello all! I am on the waitlist, and never receive the update on the 26th, nor have I received any further updates. I read through this amazing forum and saw the update saying theres only two spots left. I tried calling admissions and the office is closed until June 8th. Any advice of why I didn't receive an update email? Confused...

Thanks!

Yeah that's super weird! I would try emailing the "interviews" email. There have been no updates since that initial email saying there is just two spots left. If anything else comes, I'm sure one of us will post here :)

4 minutes ago, Northern RN said:

Tried emailing them on Thursday and got the same response back. An automatic message back saying the office is closed until Monday. Gah. I wonder why. 

Hey guys, I learned some information this week about why we haven't heard anything. I am a previous Lakehead student and know some current NOSM students and have worked on campus as well. One of my previous co-workers let me know that unfortunately one of the NOSM Admissions Officers passed away unexpectedly last weekend. I imagine this is why they are closed and we have not received an update. I know NOSM Thunder Bay is pretty small, and I'm sure the loss of this staff member has shaken the NOSM community greatly :( 

On 6/5/2020 at 9:22 AM, NOSM24 said:

I don’t think there are any big cities in northern Ontario! 

Sudbury, for example, is a big city (164,926 people). I’m from an extremely rural part of Ontario (1500 people living in over 2500square kilometres). So I was wondering if it’s better to be more rural or be from the north!

To that I'd speculate probably it's better to be from the north no matter what with respect to context, if only because the classes are typically ~90% Northern Ontarian, despite rural Southern Ontario having a population much more proportional to all of Northern Ontario, I believe. So I'd expect a much higher percentage of people from the south if being rural and being northern were roughly of equal weight, because there are only 750k of us northerners.

11 hours ago, mdhopeful26 said:

Hey guys, I learned some information this week about why we haven't heard anything. I am a previous Lakehead student and know some current NOSM students and have worked on campus as well. One of my previous co-workers let me know that unfortunately one of the NOSM Admissions Officers passed away unexpectedly last weekend. I imagine this is why they are closed and we have not received an update. I know NOSM Thunder Bay is pretty small, and I'm sure the loss of this staff member has shaken the NOSM community greatly :( 

Wow!!! Thanks for the update and I’m so sad to hear of this. You know, it’s so important to always be patient and understand that there are unprecedented circumstances that can occur! If 2020 has taught us anything...it’s that! 

Well the email we all didn't want has arrived!

It says movement this year was only 8 seats, which is a bit confusing since the first update stated that there were 42 people remaining on the waitlist (and we started with 52). Maybe they aren't counting those who removed themselves from the waitlist? Not sure. Either way, obviously it's not a great feeling, but at least we have some closure. 

Just now, mdhopeful26 said:

Well the email we all didn't want has arrived!

It says movement this year was only 8 seats, which is a bit confusing since the first update stated that there were 42 people remaining on the waitlist (and we started with 52). Maybe they aren't counting those who removed themselves from the waitlist? Not sure. Either way, obviously it's not a great feeling, but at least we have some closure. 

Yeah, they took 8 people off the waitlist but the others removed themselves from the waitlist and decreased the overall waitlisted number! 

Here is to get motivated to up our application and interview game! See you next year!