Premed 101 Forums

what are my chances?

Hello! I just wanted some insight on my chances of getting into a canadian med school (I'm in my second year!)

gpa: 4.0; and I haven't taken the mcat yet

ECs: I've worked at a family doctor's office for around 4 years starting from highschool. I also worked at a local hospital as a medical secretary clerk during my first year summer. I've done research in my first year. I was planning to do research this summer (2nd year) but due to the pandemic this year, it was cancelled. Other than that, I am involved in some school clubs as exec and I also volunteered for a bit at a local children's hospital. 

I really feel like my ECs are weak areas :( 

hypothetically, lets say that I performed well on the mcat, what are my chances? and do you guys have any suggestions on the steps that I should take moving forward?

hello, 

I am a student currently studying outside of Canada. the program that I am enrolled in is a 3 year premed program after which I will graduate with a BS in Biology. I am going to apply to the program of 2021 at U of T this summer after completing 2 years of undergraduate study. I'm also taking my MCAT this summer. I did my calculations regarding my GPA relative to the OMSAS but im not very sure if I followed the right method. 

knowing that I am a Canadian from outside of Ontario, how can I calculate my GPA relative to OMSAS? and is there a chance of being accepted ?  

thank you in advance

15 hours ago, slowcow said:

Hello! I just wanted some insight on my chances of getting into a canadian med school (I'm in my second year!)

gpa: 4.0; and I haven't taken the mcat yet

ECs: I've worked at a family doctor's office for around 4 years starting from highschool. I also worked at a local hospital as a medical secretary clerk during my first year summer. I've done research in my first year. I was planning to do research this summer (2nd year) but due to the pandemic this year, it was cancelled. Other than that, I am involved in some school clubs as exec and I also volunteered for a bit at a local children's hospital. 

I really feel like my ECs are weak areas :(

hypothetically, lets say that I performed well on the mcat, what are my chances? and do you guys have any suggestions on the steps that I should take moving forward?

I can honestly tell you that you have a very strong application on your hand.

I got into Ottawa this year with comparable EC's and without the extensive clinic exposure and a bit more research. Keep doing what you're doing.

If you manage to do well on the MCAT, you can apply to Mac this year and have a really high chance of getting interviewed (provided that you do alright on CASPer). It's a bit hard to say nlw without MCAT scores, especially CARS. But you're pretty much set for all Ontarian schools this year, except for NOSM and UWO, if you choose to apply this cycle. Even if nothing else came from it, you'd get a great experience as a 3rd year applicant.