Premed 101 Forums

I applied to medical school in my final year of an MPT program. My GPA (~80%) was not certainly not stellar, nor was my MCAT (<500) particularly competitive, but the timing worked out for me. Had I been applying to medicine now, I likely wold have not gotten accepted;  I suspect my interview is really what got me in as I had experience with interviews from both my MPT program and previous attempts at getting into medicine. For what its worth, I finished medical school and was able to match to my top specialty/location, so your MCAT/GPA does not reflect on your abilities. If you have particular questions I'd be happy to offer some insight.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:39 PM, Scorbix said:

I applied to medical school in my final year of an MPT program. My GPA (~80%) was not certainly not stellar, nor was my MCAT (<500) particularly competitive, but the timing worked out for me. Had I been applying to medicine now, I likely wold have not gotten accepted;  I suspect my interview is really what got me in as I had experience with interviews from both my MPT program and previous attempts at getting into medicine. For what its worth, I finished medical school and was able to match to my top specialty/location, so your MCAT/GPA does not reflect on your abilities. If you have particular questions I'd be happy to offer some insight.

Wow thanks so much. Yes I have a few questions. What year did you apply? How many times did you apply before? I've noticed some people say it takes >1 application before getting in; is there some unwritten rule about this, that med schools want to see you pursuing the career a couple years before accepting you? What school did you attend? Were there other PTs in your cohort; looking at the class profiles at different schools I haven't seen many . What did your GPA of approximately 80% convert in the 4.0 scale? Is there a way I can speak to you directly? Thanks!

14 hours ago, PTtoMD said:

Wow thanks so much. Yes I have a few questions. What year did you apply? How many times did you apply before? I've noticed some people say it takes >1 application before getting in; is there some unwritten rule about this, that med schools want to see you pursuing the career a couple years before accepting you? What school did you attend? Were there other PTs in your cohort; looking at the class profiles at different schools I haven't seen many . What did your GPA of approximately 80% convert in the 4.0 scale? Is there a way I can speak to you directly? Thanks!

I applied in 2015 (accepted summer of 2016), but had also applied on two earlier occasions; the first time I didn’t get an interview, but the second time I did. I wouldn’t say a medical school explicitly looks for applicants who have done something earlier, but having life experiences certainly can help (though does not necessarily give one an advantage). 

I completed all my my undergraduate, graduate and medical school at the same university, and because I was such a, relatively speaking, uncompetitive applicant on paper, I did not apply out of province. There were not other PTs in my class, but I interviewed at least one classmate when he applied to PT (and I was an interviewer), and a former PT classmate of mine was accepted to medical school in the year ahead of me. Lastly, with respect to GPA conversation, I honestly don’t know since I’ve never discussed my grades on a GPA basis; it’s simply not something my university ever did. If you have other questions please feel free to PM me.