Premed 101 Forums

The Do Something Outside of Medicine Rotation

This is an idea I've been kicking around for a while, but I really started thinking about it with the "how old is too old for medicine" thread. I've been thinking about how (in some ways), I'm a completely different person than I was when I started med school back in 1999. I've also been thinking about my colleagues and their approach to life outside of medicine.

Right now, I'm halfway through my third and final year of a cardiology fellowship. I'm experiencing a raging case of senioritis.

1. I'm tired and burnt out with my rotations and being on call. I'm not excited by every case anymore like I was as a PGY-4. Most days, i feel that I just put in my time without actually learning anything. I have been there, done that.

2. I'm tired of attendings with condescending attitudes.

3. I see no reason why cardiology is 3 years while the other internal medicine specialties are 2 years (other than "because the Royal College says so"). Everyone in my internal medicine cohort who did other specialties is an attending now... and those who did family med have been in practice for years!

4. I don't like research. A few years ago, I could be interested in it for the sake of novelty. Now, I am sick of going through the motions of "research" to appease my program director and the Royal College.

5. I would be very, very happy to never give or receive another PowerPoint presentation for the rest of my life.

I'm told that this is a very normal thing to experience in the homestretch of a long residency... and I know my peers are experiencing it too, to some extent. Basically, my main interests in life are outside of the hospital now, and medicine is getting in the way of life.

It's funny that some of my attendings (and lots of the premed/med school keeners that I know) are exactly the opposite. They resent anything that gets in the way of medicine (or the pursuit thereof). I know cardiologists with small children at home who are at the hospital until 10pm or midnight every night, whether they need to be or not. I have peers who can quote all of the latest trials in cardiovascular medicine... but if you ask them about the last novel they read, they blink at you in an incredulous "What's a novel?" sort of way, or mention something from high school English.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I know people who are VERY well-rounded. They are few and far between. yes... everyone who applies to medicine (and subsequently residency) looks amazingly well-rounded on paper. But how many of these "ECs" are carefully planned and embellished purely to impress ad coms...? How many to impress parents? I find that a lot of people who look stellar on paper don't even know what their true interests are. If you ask them what they find FUN or FASCINATING, they don't really have a good answer...

In my program (and all residency programs... it's a mandatory Royal College thing), we have dedicated research months where we're expected to present our data/findings at the end. Each resident is given a certain amount of time and funding for research/conferences.

I've been thinking that if I'm ever in charge (bwa ha ha ha), I will start a "Do Something Outside of Medicine Rotation". It will be just like the research month in some respects... Prior to the month, the resident will present a proposal for their planned "project". At the end of the month, the resident will be expected to present their "findings". the only other requirement for this month would be that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH MEDICINE. It would be separate from vacation time (because vacation is for...well... vacation). If possible, each resident would get a small stipend for this block (kind of like conference funding... nothing exorbitant, but enough to cover minor expenses).

I think this would be a great thing... For people like me who are feeling restless, this would be a good opportunity to pursue other things in a supportive environment. Once I got back to medicine, I think I would be happier and more focused on my job.

For the zombies who eat, sleep and breathe medicine, it would allow (?force) them to discover something else... and who knows... they might enjoy it!!!

The presentations at the end would be interesting for all of us, and let us get to know each other better... you know, the whole collegiality amongst colleagues thing.

It would help all of us become more well-rounded. Throughout med school and residency, the importance of being "leading a balanced life" is emphasized... but no one really tells us how to go about doing this, and our role models are not always the best. it would (in my opinion) be more productive than a mandatory research rotation. All of us will have to be balanced as physicians/humans. Not all of us will be powerhouse researchers.

Maybe something good would come of it. I know residents who are phenomenal artists and musicians. Most of them don't take their talent seriously. A couple wish they could, but simply don't have the time. My friends are forever telling me that I should write the 21st Century version of "The House of God"... Emmm... maybe not me... but maybe someone would. Maybe the "Do Something Outside of Medicine Rotation" would be the impetus for some of us to achieve great things in other fields... or maybe just achieve personal happiness!

So... If my program director was to institute this policy now (yeah, right)... I think I would pack my photography gear in the car and take month-long cross-Canada road trip, photographing people, places and things from different perspectives... (ideally this would not occur in winter).

What would other people here do on the "Do Something Outside of Medicine Rotation"???

Explore social psychology. I do find photography enjoyable and absorbing too (but don't delve into the technical aspects). It can be combined very well with medicine, if all the medical arts and humanities programs out there are any indication.. Combining medical and non-medical interests would be ideal- medicine is too significant a part of my waking hours to be relegated to a means of supporting other interests, wouldn't like to see that happen.

Guest BluePin

Environmental Internship

I believe the recent Maclean's with the article on "100 best places to work in canada" noted a number of companies with similar programs. Patagonia's been doing it for 15 years!

Not exactly what you are referring to, but perhaps a more directed version of it... with lots of social / environmental side benefits...

• 1 month later...

I realize this is an old thread but...I think this is the best idea ever!

I'd use the month to take some art classes and attempt to become the next Netter later on down the line :P

does that still count as having nothing to do with medicine?

Oil paint! There is never enough time and I hate the long breaks I am forced to take between the different layers.

Improve my times in the front crawl, especially for longer distances. I love, love, love the feeling you get from a long swimming workout and the soak in the whirlpool afterwards.

Read some more novels. Especially more of the great classics. Right now I am ambulating through Styron's "Sophie's Choice" at a lazy pace d/t school.

Work on my wardrobe and style-Tim Gunn's "Guide to Quality, Taste and Style" is helping me along... I understand the theory of a great personal style and I would like to try and put it into practice.

Cook! I have started weight watchers and lost some of my medication weight gain. I have been spending some time trying new and delicious (and healthy!) recipes. It would be fun to take a cooking class and expand the horizons.

Plan my trip to Germany and Denmark in the summer! Only the second time I have been to Europe and the fourth time of left Canada in my entire life so I am super excited.

Write angsty poetry/short stories. Hah.

Man, I have so many things I would love to do... I think the flipside is that I seem to suck at medicine no matter how hard I try. Bah.

• 10 years later...

Archived