Premed 101 Forums

Retaking courses

abyss

Hey,

From what I understand most schools will see both marks on your transcript and will use the average of both grades.

Uottawa may have a different policy since it only considers the most recent three years but it says on their website that they look at the pre-reqs.

You might find more information by emailing each of the schools for their specific policies.

All the best!!

• 2 weeks later...
Depends on the school I think.

From what I hear, some schools will just look to see if you've completed it. This is one of the questions I wish someone would answer since it's sure to come up a lot.

I also need to look into how repeating courses are treated....I know a few cases:

Queens - considers retaken courses equal

UWO - does not allow retaken courses during 5th year

Exactly how do admissions decides if a course is "retaken"?

If they just *computationally* scan your transcript course codes and throw out identical courses, then arn't there ways around this?

eg. take only that course online (distance education), or whatabout taking all courses at a different university?

Or does someone *manually* go through your transcript and check? In that case even having a diff course code would be no good because "Intro to Biology at UniX" and "Fundamentals of Biolgy at UniY" would be the same thing.

I also need to look into how repeating courses are treated....I know a few cases:

I should mention UWO doesn't consider repeat courses regardless of the year:

12. How are repeated & summer courses looked at?

Summer courses will not be counted in the overall GPA for interview and admission consideration. Summer courses will not be counted as part of the September to April course load.

Schulich Medicine does not accept repeat courses. If a course is repeated, the course is not counted in the course load for that year, nor is it factored into the GPA calculation for that year. Therefore, if you take 5 full or equivalent courses but one of them is a repeat course, we will consider that a 4 course load year and that year will not be considered for GPA cutoff purposes.

Exactly how do admissions decides if a course is "retaken"?

If they just *computationally* scan your transcript course codes and throw out identical courses, then arn't there ways around this?

eg. take only that course online (distance education), or whatabout taking all courses at a different university?

Or does someone *manually* go through your transcript and check? In that case even having a diff course code would be no good because "Intro to Biology at UniX" and "Fundamentals of Biolgy at UniY" would be the same thing.

In general from what I have heard it is computationally at least at OMSAS which generally differs to the school to decide if you are covering the same material. In Ontario at least you aren't allowed to go to another university without revealing to them all of the courses you have already taken and there is a policy province wide to respect similar courses. Doesn't mean it is impossible to take the same course twice of course, but in theory that shouldn't happen :)

Another concern is that some schools directly will also potentially examine your transcripts regardless of what OMSAS is doing. You definitely don't want your app rejected because some person thinks you are playing games.

In general from what I have heard it is computationally at least at OMSAS which generally differs to the school to decide if you are covering the same material. In Ontario at least you aren't allowed to go to another university without revealing to them all of the courses you have already taken and there is a policy province wide to respect similar courses. Doesn't mean it is impossible to take the same course twice of course, but in theory that shouldn't happen :)

Another concern is that some schools directly will also potentially examine your transcripts regardless of what OMSAS is doing. You definitely don't want your app rejected because some person thinks you are playing games.

Well I was under the impression that there is nothing technically "wrong" about taking a course again....like if you want to pay the tuition for a course that you already have a credit for, you can go right ahead.....maybe Im wrong about that?

But in any case, I guess its more relevant to know:

how med school admissions treat repeated courses in their GPA Calculations.

If they do this manually (which actually probably means that they really really dont like repeated courses) and they see either: the same course taken twice or two similar courses from diff departments or diff universities whatever...isn't the worst case that they dont include this in their GPA calculation?

Well I was under the impression that there is nothing technically "wrong" about taking a course again....like if you want to pay the tuition for a course that you already have a credit for, you can go right ahead.....maybe Im wrong about that?

But in any case, I guess its more relevant to know:

how med school admissions treat repeated courses in their GPA Calculations.

If they do this manually (which actually probably means that they really really dont like repeated courses) and they see either: the same course taken twice or two similar courses from diff departments or diff universities whatever...isn't the worst case that they dont include this in their GPA calculation?

Yeah that is likely the worst case, but you get into trouble if that means the course itself no longer counts in any way. For one thing it can easy drop you below the 5.0 courses you have to take for the year (you though you took the full load, but now they disregard one), which for many schools means that the entire year now doesn't count. That can really suck!

Archived